Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black headliner option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up. I was at my Tesla store on Saturday and in the store they had a new black headliner option on display. Doesn't appear to be on the web site, but when I configured my P85 it was coming with the tan alcantera headliner. It was tan when I configured it but I've asked them to please make sure my car ships with the black one in September as my leather is black. Haven't heard back yet, but seems to be a new option.

Right! Provided that I can get this on mine before it builds, I'm going to be very happy about this. The tan against the black just looks weird and will def look much more sporty. I've been watching for new options or changes while I've been waiting out my delivery date. :)

Hmm, I don't really notice that mine is tan, despite my exterior, interior, and wheels all being dark. I still would like the option of having a black headliner though, preferably in alcantara. Wonder how much the "upgrade" will be...

when I configured my P85 it was coming with the tan alcantera headliner. It was tan when I configured it but I've asked them to please make sure my car ships with the black one in September as my leather is black. Haven't heard back yet, but seems to be a new option.
Cream, not tan. It (decently) matches the seat belts in a Signature that has the white interior. It definitely does not match the tan interior seats.

My mistake. I will be happier avoiding cream or tan. :)
Hehe.
I definitely would have selected the black were it an option, but I'm a bit glad it wasn't. I've grown to quite like the cream/tan. It makes the interior feel a bit more open, even when everything else is black.
There was some discussion when cars were about to be delivered about "zomg, why did they do a light colored headliner". After some discussion, there were pictures posted and anecdotes about what other cars had done and were doing. My fuzzy recollection is that the consensus was that a dark colored roof is somewhat unusual and that a light colored one "opens up" the interior (somewhat like the pano roof does even when closed).

All that said...

I look forward to seeing some dark headliners as part of continuing exploration of what I prefer. :)

we would have loved black headliner, and would have paid a little extra for that "option" if it was available.

we've gotten it on a few cars and love the sporty cabin feel with black leather. the light beige headliner has already gotten so many dirty finger prints on them, some of them from being at the service center.

we would have loved black headliner, and would have paid a little extra for that "option" if it was available.

we've gotten it on a few cars and love the sporty cabin feel with black leather. the light beige headliner has already gotten so many dirty finger prints on them, some of them from being at the service center.

As an aside, when mine got some smudges on it, "Spray 9" is what the service center recommended to clean it. Found it at my local auto store and it works like a charm.

image.jpg

Aftermarket.

While out in California for TMC Connect, a group happened to be @ Fremont on Thursday, July 17.
And there was a very special MS that was being prepared for delivery to its lucky owner, and we later watched it drive away.
(Tesla guys kept us away from oogling the car while it was still inside the delivery center area).

And then it came back.

It was entirely dark purple, including the chin spoiler, the door sills, the rear skirt, the nose and the dash.
And IT had a black headliner installed (I do have a picture of the dash and headliner).
So there is at least one car out there, and it will be really easy to spot.

Would love to see it.

I wonder what strings you have to pull to get this stuff. I mean, a black headliner is such a basic option. I've not even had to think about it on my last two bimmers. That's why I was excited to see it listed as an option and don't feel like I should have to pay to have an aftermarket one put it on a 100k+ car.

While out in California for TMC Connect, a group happened to be @ Fremont on Thursday, July 17. And there was a very special MS that was being prepared for delivery to its lucky owner, and we later watched it drive away. (Tesla guys kept us away from oogling the car while it was still inside the delivery center area). And then it came back. It was entirely dark purple, including the chin spoiler, the door sills, the rear skirt, the nose and the dash. And IT had a black headliner installed (I do have a picture of the dash and headliner). So there is at least one car out there, and it will be really easy to spot.
That was probably George R.R. Martin's, the author of the Game of Thrones books. I don't know why he wood choose purple though. That's more suited for a street cat, like Cam'ron

Hmm, I don't really notice that mine is tan, despite my exterior, interior, and wheels all being dark. I still would like the option of having a black headliner though, preferably in alcantara. Wonder how much the "upgrade" will be...

Ditto. I was concerned with it at first, but I feel like it makes an otherwise dark interior feel a tad bigger. That said, I'd love to see it in black.