Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof Leaking

Have you had a pano roof leak?

• Don't have a pano roof

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Have a pano roof, no leaks

Votes: 75 79.8%
  • 1 leak repaired

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • 2 leaks repaired

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 3 or more leaks repaired

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to Emerald Isle this weekend to stay with some friends at their beach house. I had to back into their slightly inclined driveway (car facing downwards) so the charging port would be close to the house. Friday night it thunderstormed and poured rain all night long. On Saturday we decided to drive to Swansboro to get some lunch and check out the shops since it was still drizzling and overcast. As soon as I opened the door we noticed standing water in both front seats (about 0.5" deep in the back and getting more shallow as you move towards the front of the seat) and the floor was wet, too. We also noticed the headliner was soaking wet and water was dripping at a steady pace. After using towels to dry the headliner, seats and floor we double-checked to make sure the sunroof was closed in Controls (it was) and tried opening and closing it a few times to see if we could see anything wrong (we couldn't). So we proceeded to drive and more water kept pouring in on the front seats, pouring as if someone was slowly pouring a water bottle on you, not dripping! Presumably this water was trapped in the trough of the headliner as it did stop at a certain point during the drive. On our way back to Emerald Isle we did not see it leaking anymore but it was only drizzling outside then.

Sunday morning there were more thunderstorms but by lunchtime it was slowing down some so we went out for lunch again. This time there was only a small amount of water pooled at the bottom of the seats and drip marks coming down from the front of the seats. The headliner was wet and poured water all over the front passengers on the way to the restaurant - we looked ridiculous when we got there, weren't wet at all except for our stomach and crotch were soaking! Anyway, on the way there someone in the back seat noticed water dripping from the corner of the beam that separates the front pano from the back pano. Right where that beam came in contact with the driver side headliner was a wet spot that occasionally dripped.

Thinking back on things, this is the first time the car has sat overnight in heavy rain. It drizzled when I took it to the mountains a few weeks back but other than that it stays garaged so this may have been a problem all along or may have had something to do with parking at a slight incline and the heavy rain we received all night. I do drive through rain quite often, and have left it for an hour or two in parking lots while it rained, without a problem in the past but this is the first time it has sat still in a downpour for hours.

I haven't found many posts on here about pano roof leaks so maybe I'm one of the unlucky few to have one, but it certainly worries me that a roof leak develops or shows itself after only 11k miles, especially on a six figure car! Of all my concerns when purchasing the MS about the reliability of batteries and drive units, never once did I expect the sunroof to leak. I've heard sunroofs can be problematic but every car I've owned has had a sunroof and this is the first leak I've ever seen.

This morning a Tesla employee drove a loaner to me and drove mine back to the SC, the truck was busy so they couldn't tow. I will hopefully find out soon what caused it and what can be done to fix it. The car had a dank smell this morning that it has never had before so I'm hoping they'll inspect the interior to find and replace what was damaged instead of just fixing the leak and calling it a day. I'm also hoping all the electronics on the front seats are working since they were acting as water buckets Friday night.

Has anybody else had any experience with pano roof leaks and the subsequent repairs? Does Tesla replace everything or are you left with stains/smells?

Need a poll option for mystery leak. A few months ago (had the car for 1.5 years now) I had a leak somewhere near the B pillar on the passenger side of the car that soaked the upper part of the B pillar and also the C pillar. Service was unable to reproduce the leak by blasting the seals with a high pressure hose, and I haven't seen it since. One guess is that some seal wasn't quite seated right after a previous opening/closing of the pano, but got reseated when the service center was looking into it, since I'd assume they opened and closed the pano roof before running the pressure test.

Need a poll option for mystery leak. A few months ago (had the car for 1.5 years now) I had a leak somewhere near the B pillar on the passenger side of the car that soaked the upper part of the B pillar and also the C pillar. Service was unable to reproduce the leak by blasting the seals with a high pressure hose, and I haven't seen it since. One guess is that some seal wasn't quite seated right after a previous opening/closing of the pano, but got reseated when the service center was looking into it, since I'd assume they opened and closed the pano roof before running the pressure test.

It won't allow me to go back and change the answer choices, I think only mods can do that. Good idea, though!

I didn't reply to the poll as I have not had Tesla look at it yet, but I had a small leak last week during a heavy downpour while the car was parked. Had a thunderstorm come through for about 15 minutes with extremely heavy rain and strong wind. Car was parked on a level area. Not a lot of water got in the car...the only reason I noticed is when I went to put my seatbelt on, I noticed water leaking from the opening on the upper B pillar where the seatbelt connects. I felt around the surrounding areas and the floor, but couldn't find any other wet spots and the passenger side seemed dry. Never noticed this problem before, but my car doesn't usually sit outside. I've definitely driven in heavy rain and snow, but never had a problem before this. I'll have Tesla look at it the next time I go in.

-update:

Tesla proactively called me about this and we just set up an appointment to get it checked out...thanks Tesla!

Last edited:
Coincidentally I discovered a headliner water stain on the drivers side after parking my Model S nose down in an inclined driveway in the NC outer banks this week (sounds freakishly similar to OP). It had rained heavily the night before I noticed the stain. The car has about 37k miles on it in 18 months ownership and I have had zero problems with water before. I wonder if this nose down position causes excess amounts of rain to flow into the channel overwhelming the small drain hole in the front part of the channel?

Last Friday morning after an overnight rainstorm, I came out to my car to find water in the passenger seat and a corner of the headliner wet by the sunroof. First time this has happened despite driving in the rain many times as well as washing the car at a car wash. Called Tesla 877# to get connected to nearest service center to let them know - I made three call attempts and kept getting dumped into a "no man's land" in the phone tree with only silence. Finally, I just called the Grand Ave. Chicago Service Center directly and got voice mail that said to leave a message and someone would call me back. Mind you, this was last Friday during business hours. It's now been a week, and no one has called me back. I must admit, I find this rather irritating and is not the first time that a service center has failed to call me back - this has happened previously with the Cleveland Service Center. So tonight, I tried the 877# again but this time chose the option for roadside assistance. Nice gentlemen answered, but he was basically no help. Told me to call the Service Center again tomorrow during business hours.

Really, is this is the kind of service experience I am going to have to learn to expect from Tesla?

IMG_0729.jpeg
IMG_2249.JPG

Last edited:
Yup...this happened to me the other day while checking for where my leak was coming from.....driving through a heavy downpour for about an hour or 2. Water was leaking from the sunroof....couple drips. Checked sunroof the next morning and found where the water was coming from,but then I had a little issue opening past vent for some reason. Drove a little bit then it opened fine. Maybe just a fluke or maybe something to do with the leak. SC will look at it next week