Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello! Can you help talk me into the Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've made a deposit on a Model X, and I REALLY would like to purchase the car next year. But I'm afraid an all-electric car just won't fit my needs. I'd love to be convinced otherwise. Can you help?

95% of my driving is well within the charging range of the Teslas. But I just got back from a trip I make a few times a year that I don't think I could make with an EV. At least not reasonably. I drove from the S.F. Bay area up the coast (Hwy 101 not I-5) into Oregon. About 300 miles each way. There are a few low-amperage charing stations along that route, but I think the recharges would dramatically slow down my trip. Furthermore, once I reached my destination, I'd have to park the Tesla at a charger far from where I was staying, so I'd have to arrange to be shuttled back and forth to my own car. And it's not just this trip. I'd have the same problem taking the Tesla X to Lake Tahoe or Yosemite.

I only have room for two cars. My wife loves her Prius, so I can't talk her into selling the Prius and making my Lexus 450h her car. That way we'd have the Lexus as the road-trip car and I'd get the new Tesla X as my day-to-day vehicle. Looks like I need to have the road-trip car as mine, and the Tesla X probably can't quite cut it.

Oh how I wish there really were those battery-swap locations we hoped we'd see!

Thanks!

There is actually a SuperCharger planned on the 101 in 2 years, and both Truckee (next to Lake Tahoe) and Manteca (halfway to Yosemite) has been permitted already. So those will be available long before you have your X.

It seems that you have a fixed destination in OR where you're going (relatives perhaps?). If so, can't you just install a NEMA 14 outlet over there?

As for the rest - I've done the slow recharge thing on the 101. Once. It's not actually a bad experience, but I wouldn't repeat it soon (especially if all the campgrounds are still closed because of the drought). So honestly, I think you probably will end up doing the 101 maybe once in the Model X, but then move over to the I5 for a few years until the 101 is covered. (Or at least until a HPWC is available somewhere on the 101). It's not the worse thing, and the 101 will be covered eventually.

But I've found that I've driven overall to more new places as a result of getting the S - not less. My mileage over the last year was 4000 miles higher than my highest previous highest mileage over the last decade on an ICE. My longest day trip in the S is the same as the longest day trip I've ever driven in an ICE (800 miles). And when last did you drive 180 miles each way to have dinner, just because fuel was free?

Sure you may have to take another car to go to some places, or plan an extra overnight stop. But there are many more places that are well within reach of the SuperChargers that you may have never thought about going to before. e.g. Ever driven up to Crater Lake? How about Whistler? Or Miami... for that matter.

I don't know your route, but just to give you a data point...

For TMC Connect this year, I took a ~4,000 mile route from Bellevue, WA to Folsom, CA. Check your favorite mapping website. That's not a direct route. I tapped every supercharger in Arizona, the two in NM, the one in NV, and 1 of the UT ones. I was averaging ~800 miles a day initially, with a "24x7" speed of 25mph (so basically 75mph 1/3rd of each day). One driver. For the first 4 nights (5 if you count the day before the trip), I slept in a different state each night.

My point? The supercharger network is still building, but if you can align much/most(/all?) of your trips with available superchargers you can cover a lot of ground quickly.

My entire TMC Connect journey (plus an originally unplanned sidetrip) was ~6,000 miles. Cost of fuel/energy: $0.

Have you taken a Model S for a test drive yet? If not, please go do that. It's all the 'talking into' you'll need.

If you have and you're still not convinced, then maybe you're not ready for a fully electric car quite yet. No shame in that.

Have you taken a Model S for a test drive yet? If not, please go do that. It's all the 'talking into' you'll need. If you have and you're still not convinced, then maybe you're not ready for a fully electric car quite yet. No shame in that.

Yes, Bonnie. I've driven a Model S at the Tesla factory. (Had a tour, too!) I have to admit, if I hadn't driven the car, I probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic as I am and probably wouldn't have put the $5,000 deposit down for the Model X. It's as much my enthusiasm for the company as the car. I love what they're doing to transform personal transportation. Which is why I really want this to work. My wife is equally excited, so we just need to figure out how to juggle the vehicles. Maybe she needs to get the X. :)

lots of CHAdeMO/DC fast charging in OR and the CHAdeMO adapter is due out any day now, that should dramatically improve charging times for you to the point of non-issue... oddly, Oregon leads the country in fast charging infrstructure, would have thought it would have been WA or CA.

What is your reservation number and how are you spec'ing it out? You take advantage of the tax credits, and if it doesn't work for you let's talk!

I'm number 11,735 for the Model X. Just signed up about two weeks ago, so I've probably got a one-year wait. Haven't spec'd it out yet. Still learning from all of the Model S owners and waiting to hear to final specs and $$ for the X.

Yes, Bonnie. I've driven a Model S at the Tesla factory. (Had a tour, too!) I have to admit, if I hadn't driven the car, I probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic as I am and probably wouldn't have put the $5,000 deposit down for the Model X. It's as much my enthusiasm for the company as the car. I love what they're doing to transform personal transportation. Which is why I really want this to work. My wife is equally excited, so we just need to figure out how to juggle the vehicles. Maybe she needs to get the X. :)

You'll find a way. Or get the X. Or both :)

As others have indicated, you will not get the car for at least a year from now, and by then there will be many more charging resources out there for you. North America has installed over 20,000 public charging stations in less than four years. Tesla has put over 100 superchargers into play in less than two years, with a plan to double that number within another year. Superchargers open somewhere in the world almost every day now, and in North America every week (supercharge info). The resources are coming in big wave. Come ride it!

Both my wife and I LOVE being early adopters of this technology and community. Be just slightly less rational about it, and you will never look back!

I find that I have more often regretted the things I didn't buy vs the things I did.

You won't regret the X. 99% of the time it will be better than your ICE. That 1% of the time while road tripping you will find ways to work around the limitations until the SC network and destination charging options have expanded enough to remove the limiyations for you.

I think if you really want a Tesla Model X (and it sounds like you do), then you can probably find a way to make it work for your infrequent travel situation. Since you won't have your Model X for at least a year, there is plenty of time for the Tesla SC network to expand even further. There are also likely to be more L2 chargers popping up along your route over the next couple of years. There may be more chargers out there than you are aware of. Have you tried using RV Parky and Plugshare?

If your destination in Oregon is with family or friends, then you could pay to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed (assuming they are not living in an apartment). That should cost less than $1000.00. You also might be able to find a friendly business (such as a hotel/motel), that will let you pay to have an L2 charger installed (or maybe you could talk them into doing it themselves).

If none of these work, then you could take your wife's Prius on the road trip, or rent some other vehicle for the trip.

Agree with all that has been said, talk to the favorite hotel that you stay at they might agree to installing a 14-50 plug if you are always staying there. Also as has been suggested at your friends house. Tahoe is easy now you have Roseville and soon Truckee, also at North Shore the Firelite lodge. More charging to come so since you have driven a Tesla I think you would agree that it is worth a few trade-offs to own one.

Do you have any idea how much you drive around daily during your stay? Remember, a common extension cord will get you +/- 100 miles overnight.
That is dangerous advice and untrue. You can't use a "common extension cord" as you might find around the house or it will risk a fire and likely won't charge at all. Look at the charging wiki for details on the heavy wire gauge needed. If you do use the proper gauge extension cord, a 120V 15A outlet will give a Model S about 3 miles of range per hour of charge which is no where near 100 miles overnight.