Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model S handle the Seattle rain well?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on the tires, as any other car. While it's easy to push it so the traction control kicks in on wet roads, the same is true for most powerful ICE's. However, Model S has a big advantage of its very low inertia drivetrain (no engine to speak of, no gearbox, no driveshaft, etc.), so traction control is quicker than in any ICE I've driven so far.

Took delivery in March...no lack of rain and I was in that "floor it at every stop" phase (wait...I'm still doing that 5 months later). I was incredibly surprised how few times the wheels lost traction. It was really rock solid. Stock 19" wheels on my P85.

Had our car since November of 2012, so been through two rainy seasons and the car does great in the Seattle rain. Our car has the 21 inch tires. It did have some trouble when we had some snow going up hill because of the aggressive traction control, but turning of TC helps when the car won't move because of wheel slip.

That being said, the Model S has so much torque that when the roads are wet in Seattle, especially when we get those first rains after a a long spell of dry weather and there is a lot of oil and tire rubber on the ground, it's not difficult to have get the traction control to engage. It will save you from slipping and sliding around in those conditions.

To get wheel slip in those conditions, you still have to be on the more aggressive side with accelerating the car, but I have never felt like the car was out of control and all I had to do was back off slightly to get the Traction Control to disengage.

We have the primacys on 19" wheels and the car does fantastic in the rain and even in the snow. It really depends on the tires you have on. Making sure you rotate them properly and keep the car aligned properly. I've had many cars SUVs etc and the tesla drives. Y far the best of the all.

21" with Michelin Sports. Took delivery in March 2013, so plenty of rain driving since then, averaging 1,000 miles/month. Absolutely no issues, tracks better than my Mercedes ML430 in the rain at freeway speeds. Also much better than our old Mercedes E320 (car the Model S replaced) in the snow or rain.

Can anyone attest to theTesla's drivability on the wet rain soaked Seattle streets? My family and I receive ours late Sept, just in time f
We've had ours for over a year and it's handled rain with aplomb-- even on the steep eastside hills outside of Woodinville. And on those few freakish evenings when we had some snow, there were no problems at all!

We have stock tires, 19" wheels and the air suspension.

Really, though, it doesn't usually rain that much all at once, so the roads aren't really like running with water. But anyway, it doesn't really seem to be any different than any other car with similar tires.

Seattle Calibrated Curves

Any good test hills/curves in Seattle, ones you trip the traction control on in an ICE car?

Try turning off southbound 24th Ave E onto Crescent Drive halfway up the long hill, a 120 degree turn and going uphill too. If there is no eastbound traffic waiting for the light to change, it is fairly safe. My Lexus LS430 has the traction control kick in. Only tried the Tesla once there, as I no longer live in the neighborhood. Didn't trip the traction but I'll have to try it again after a rain.

It does not rain in Seattle, in Ferndale it RAINS!! The S handles way better than the CTS coupe it replaced. One piece of advice I will give, take a set of Bosch OE wiper blades with you when you go for delivery, I did and had them put on before we drove away. No streaks, no smears, no chatter just nice clean glass. I got them on E-bay and I think they were less than $55.00 with free shipping.