Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hood won't release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to pop my hood today and it releases on the passenger side, but not the driver's. I tried pressing down or lifting gently while pulling the hood release but no luck. Wondering if anyone has experienced the same and how they solved it.

I've experienced that just once. Not quite sure what happened but at the time we pack our trunk pretty tightly for the road trip, so I attributed the jamming to something maybe getting caught in there. (Had a pillow and some jackets stuffed up there)

I ended up pressing down to fully lock the hood again, then pulled up the hood with a good amount of force while opening it. Haven't had the same problem since.

-Racceye

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, not quite sure which latch actually released and which one didn't.

This is what the latch looks like when artificially closed after the hood has been opened:
latch.jpg

The mating part on the hood is a vertical plate that would be just above the latch mechanism in this picture with a rod that would be pointing down in this picture to be captured by the latch.

You might be able to push a stiff coat hanger wire or rod down between the windshield and the hood to push on the latch and release it. This video shows how you want the latch to move.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW... huge help and thanks @slcasner for the photos and video! I'll give this a shot tonight. I have not attempted to pop the hood since the SC replaced the HVAC a couple months ago. May have something to do with that repair, as most of it is up front.

I'll let you know if I get it popped.

This happened to me as the cable popped out. Follow slcasner instructions above. I had to remove the wheel and liner first. Not hard just a bit of a pain and some time. And the cable was easy to reattach and adjust.

Last edited:
I found that I have the exact same problem. Someone asked me yesterday if they could look under the hood. The passenger side released, but not the driver side. Later, I tried a few more times so I could check the washer fluid. No luck. I stopped by the Rockville Service Center on my way home, and made an appointment to fix it.

I found that I have the exact same problem. Someone asked me yesterday if they could look under the hood. The passenger side released, but not the driver side. Later, I tried a few more times so I could check the washer fluid. No luck. I stopped by the Rockville Service Center on my way home, and made an appointment to fix it.

Thanks Curt! I haven't tried to the DIY fix yet on mine.

I dropped mine off today and they found that the latch is bad. turns out my trunk wasn't releasing either. I'd hear the click but no workie-workie. Answer there is 2 bad actuators. Should be wrapped up tomorrow. Talked to Jonathan a good bit... cool dude. But he wouldn't hook me up with 400 mile battery pack. Better luck next time.

I dropped mine off today and they found that the latch is bad. turns out my trunk wasn't releasing either. I'd hear the click but no workie-workie. Answer there is 2 bad actuators. Should be wrapped up tomorrow. Talked to Jonathan a good bit... cool dude. But he wouldn't hook me up with 400 mile battery pack. Better luck next time.

2 bad actuators? There's only one actuator in the back, and the front is all mechanical. Where was the second bad actuator? Or did you mean bad latch?