Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation 'feature' removal/improvement request!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In making the drive from Los Gatos to San Carlos today we repeatedly encountered a 'feature' that I would love to see being improved.

When going through a close series of navigation steps - such as going from highway 17 onto 85 N the navigation will tell you as each step approaches, and if the following step is close, it tells you that as well, then it tells you what to do, and repeated the warning for the next step, then tells you when to do that - all great.

EXCEPT each and every time it tells you where you are headed - exit right towards Mountain View, then take the left towards Mountain View, now exit right towards Mountain View, then take the left towards Mountain View, now take the left towards Mountain View. As a result it points out Mountain View a dozen times when simply going from Freeway A to Freeway B.

I wonder if there is a better arrangement where it tells you that you need to follow Mountain View signs once or maybe twice, but not a dozen times?

I usually only have the navigation audio enabled when driving in an area where I'm not familiar.

The navigation maps are getting pretty old (probably older than the first delivered Model S - so they might be from early 2012 or even earlier) - so the voice becomes especially annoying when trying to navigate through roads that have changed...

Since the current maps are old and the navigation software is relatively limited in features - let's see what happens with 6.0...

Boing. you guys pushed my button... The Navigon/Garmin maps are even more out of date than that. In Seattle, there is a light rail station that has been under construction since about 2010. In 2013, the Nav system tried to have me drive through the middle of a 40 foot hole (there were fences and such). I'm not sure they are OTA updatable. I really wish Tesla would figure out how to use Google Nav and only use the Garmin stuff if GNav is some how unavailable.

I hate that the blue nav line on the console map obscures traffic info.

Also, the turn, next turn stuff is confusing in how it's presented. Everyone who's ridden or driven my car gets confused by it. Needs to be cleaned up.

Finally, give us waze info.

Like I've said before, the Garman Nav system is state of the art for 1999. C'mon Elon, lets fix this mess.

The navigation maps are getting pretty old (probably older than the first delivered Model S - so they might be from early 2012 or even earlier) - so the voice becomes especially annoying when trying to navigate through roads that have changed...

The Nav maps are google maps, aren't they? They should always be as up to date as google maps I would think?

Boing. you guys pushed my button... The Navigon/Garmin maps are even more out of date than that. In Seattle, there is a light rail station that has been under construction since about 2010. In 2013, the Nav system tried to have me drive through the middle of a 40 foot hole (there were fences and such). I'm not sure they are OTA updatable. I really wish Tesla would figure out how to use Google Nav and only use the Garmin stuff if GNav is some how unavailable.

I hate that the blue nav line on the console map obscures traffic info.

Also, the turn, next turn stuff is confusing in how it's presented. Everyone who's ridden or driven my car gets confused by it. Needs to be cleaned up.

Finally, give us waze info.

Like I've said before, the Garman Nav system is state of the art for 1999. C'mon Elon, lets fix this mess.
REALLY want the waze functionality. I still use my iPhone in a vent-mounted clip just so I can use waze to avoid traffic. Want this on the big screen so bad.

I'm with you 100%.
iPhone is in one of those suction cup holders on the piano black dashboard, though.
I use the Airframe vent mount. Works really well, stays in place, and is small. I attach it to the lower vent immediately to the left of the center screen.

Kenu Airframe - Kenu

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

The Nav maps are google maps, aren't they? They should always be as up to date as google maps I would think?

The nav maps on the center display are Google and are current, but the nav directions and routing instructions come from a separate Navigon database that appears to be about two years old. In our area, it's missing several major highways completed in the past 18 months and tries to route via side streets when you travel on them.