Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S Coming 9/17, Should I Wait for X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S has a scheduled delivery of 9/17. With all the new talk of the X, it makes is seem really soon that X will actually be available.
I wish we knew more about the X so I could make a more informed decision. Currently, the only really solid reason I prefer the X is AWD, but that is sort of a big one in Minnesota.

I know the answers are mostly speculative, but any thoughts on the questions below would be great:

-If I reserved an X today, when would I get it?

-Will the X be priced about the same as a comparably equipped S? ( I am not getting tech pack or air suspension, I could see air suspension being standard, and therefore tech package, those two add about $6,000 together)

-Are we still looking at 60 and 85 packs, how much of a range hit will the X take compared to S?

-Is the rear storage on an X going to compete with an S, can the back row be removed, folded, etc.?

And finally, when will AWD on the S be available and how much will it cost?

Thanks

My S has a scheduled delivery of 9/17. With all the new talk of the X, it makes is seem really soon that X will actually be available.
I wish we knew more about the X so I could make a more informed decision. Currently, the only really solid reason I prefer the X is AWD, but that is sort of a big one in Minnesota.

I know the answers are mostly speculative, but any thoughts on the questions below would be great:

-Will the X be priced about the same as a comparably equipped S? ( I am not getting tech pack or air suspension, I could see air suspension being standard, and therefore tech package, those two add about $6,000 together)

-Are we still looking at 60 and 85 packs, how much of a range hit will the X take compared to S?

-Is the rear storage on an X going to compete with an S, can the back row be removed, folded, etc.?

Thanks
The problem at this point is we know very little about cost and accessories, there has been lots of speculation but until late this year we will not know for sure. If you reserve now it will be fall of 2015 for delivery. Since I have a goal of getting off gas completely I will keep my Model S and depending on all of the above purchase a Model X, at that point I will be all electric. If you live where it snows during the winter the X would be a good fit.

Thanks

My opinions:
If deliveries are going full speed mid next year, you are behind at least 14000 others in the US - then you may get yours by the end of 2015.
Probably about 5-15K more depending on if AWD, falcon doors, and 3rd row seats are options or standard.
I expect that the X takes at least a 10% range hit. A larger battery option is possible, but not probable.
I can not imagine that the 3rd row seat would not be foldable or removable, but then again when we are shocked that the S didn't have rear seat cupholders.
I expect the rear storage of the X with the 3rd row seat folded to be about as good as the S, and that with it removed it will be insane.
I bet that Tesla announces the AWD Model S when they announce the final form and pricing of the X, and that it will become available shortly after the X.

Model X is not coming out any time soon... unless you reserved one two years ago, then next year is "soon"

Check out some of the threads on the Model X, there is lots of information that have accumulated over the last couple years.

According to the Model X tally thread, as of yesterday the production number was around 11,900 for US. Including the 1,200 signature models, you would be around 13,000+ on the US side (some canadian/european/china X's will go out at same time as US production so you can be dealing with that as well)

You would most likely be looking at Q4 of 2015, possibly 1Q of 2016 if there are any more delays or not significant ramp up of production in second half of 2015.

Not that I have any first hand experience, but I heard even the non-AWD model S's are great in the winter/snow. AWD will only make it that much better.

The X will be more expensive than the S (probably 10%) and range will suffer possibly 10% due to more weight, etc.

At the moment, there has been no mention of a larger battery than the 85. It's something that COULD happen since Tesla is not "showing all their cards" right now. But I don't think it is generally expected for Model X launch. If there is a 110 battery, I'm getting it without hesitation.

The S is an amazing car! If I could afford both, I would in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the replies. I have also heard that S does pretty well in snow, and I intend to get snow tires.

Paying 10% more and getting 10% less range seems like a big negative.

I am inclined to think they will offer something larger than 85kwh, mainly because I bet they don't really want to offer a 60 and there should be a choice.

I guess it goes with the territory that things are evolving fast and something better and or cheaper will always be over the horizon. Its a good thing overall I guess, I'll be bummed if an AWD S is announced right after mine is delivered.

The only thing I have to add is that Elon Musk mentioned in one of his public question and answer sessions that the Model X would cost a low single digit percentage over a comparable Model S because of the included AWD. Other than that my guess is as good as what others have already said.

I asked myself the same question this past January. We ended up with an S. We will probably end up with a second Tesla at some point over the next few years. Don't know what combo though. Thinking 3 (if enough room for child car seats) and X. Would keep our S but worried about repair costs outside the warranty.