Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High outside temperatures reduce charging speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably a no brainer. But do high outside temperatures slowdown the speed at which the car can charge? I've noticed that when itsparticularly hot outside it can take almost twice as long for the car to charge.

When I got home this afternoon I had about 26 miles of range left. I'mplanning to go out for the evening so I connected my HPWC for a quick charge. Afterwaiting a few minutes, the car said it was going to take almost 5 hours to do astandard charge at 36 miles of range per hour of charge (36/hr). That's a sharpdrop from the rated 62/hr.

As my garage started to cool down, the charging rate started to speedup. It's now at 55/hr. But this has happened a few times before, and always when it'shot outside.

It's not a big deal as it only make sense for it to take longer. I was justwondering if anyone else has experienced similar charge times in the heat?

That is a sharp drop. I haven't i had any drop like that and I range charge to about 90% every day with my HPWC. It does have to ramp up to the full amperage/voltage, then the calculated time will be more accurate. Whats the outside temps? Mine are around 88F-95F.

The car is turning on the heat pump to cool your battery and only after it has cooled the battery does it start to charge. It will speed up the charging speed soon. The same happens with a cold battery. It warms up the battery first then starts charging faster and faster.

The cooling system is drawing some power too, which may contribute to the reduced rate.

Also note that the mph charging rate is an average for the session. If it charges at a reduced rate for the first 15 min while the battery cools, the average may never reach your usual 62. Set the display to show energy (kW), then you'll see when it actually ramps up.