Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy - Aftermarket (TSW) Roadster Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I didn't realize us Roadster owners had any choices for aftermarket wheels. But I saw visionik recently finished first at REFUEL with aftermarket Roadster rims, so I did some research with another local owner here in Phoenix and found a shop that can machine some for us.

There are 2 options from TSW Wheels.

- Each are 17x7.5 front and 18x8 rear
- Tire will be 205/45r17 front and 235/40r18 rear
- 17.55 lbs front and 18.6 lbs rear

1) TSW Interlagos in Matte Black

4196_full.jpg

2) TSW Nurburgring in Matte Gunmetal or Gunmetal with Mirror cut face

Matte Gunmetal:

734a466f-6ee7-4214-b173-4d124be3e86b.jpg

Mirror Cut:

3887_full.jpg

For local owners in the Phoenix area, installed cost including tax, lug nuts, installation, and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires is a group buy price of: $2511.60. You have to provide your existing TPMS sensors or buy new ones from Tesla. Add $170 for Yokohama AD08's instead of the Michelins. There are other tire options available if you choose.

For the group buy, we need 5 more orders and we do have to pay in advance prior to machining, which needs to be done all at once.

I actually think there is only one more set of the Interlagos available. There are 10+ quantities available for the Nurburgring in both finishes. If you want a different finish, the rims can be painted, but I am unsure of the cost and can obtain a quote.

For those out of state, I do not have a shipping price or a price without installation, but I can research this if there is interest.

The wheel shop is located in Tempe, AZ.

Post or PM with questions.

Thanks.

I'm interested in the Interlagos - but TSW is located in Huntington Beach, CA so I assume that your tire dealer is going to make a custom order and then install (with tires) them on the cars. So what if we just get 10 aggregate orders so that TSW will have lower machining costs? I am in CA -

thanks

I'm interested in the Interlagos - but TSW is located in Huntington Beach, CA so I assume that your tire dealer is going to make a custom order and then install (with tires) them on the cars. So what if we just get 10 aggregate orders so that TSW will have lower machining costs? I am in CA -

thanks

Hmm - good point. Let me clarify that. I think our local dealer is going to do the machining in house in Tempe, but let me ask him.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see a price without tires because I would need them shipped to washington state. If I ever needed to replace one, is there a one-off price for that?

Not sure about the replacement, but I'll ask about shipping without tires.

Excuse my ignorance and laziness - how does these wheel's weights compare to the stock 2.0 Sport wheels? and, how does these sizes compare to the 2.0 stock Sport wheels?

I also live in So. Cal. - could I pick them up in Huntington Beach and save the shipping?

I don't know the weights of the stock 2.0 sport wheels either. I thought I saw an old thread where someone posted that information, though. I'll get clarification on the sizing.

Okay, I have a bit more info:

1) He's doing the machining in-house in Tempe, AZ.

2) Wheels plus lug nuts is $1450 plus $100 freight shipping to CA and Washington State.

3) Regarding sizing. I'm just going to paste the response I received from the seller:

O.E. difference front to rear 1.4 aftermarket difference 1.2 in O.D.
image007.png

Let me know if there are any more questions. augkuo was the first to express interest in the Interlagos. The remaining would be the Nurburgring in either finish.

Think and research a bit more and let me know whenever someone decides. I'll continue to provide as much info as a I can. I'm in no rush to do this. The only thing is, once we place an order, we need to pay in advance and the machining has to be done all at once.

S2000 had this in another thread - 68 pounds for the forged stock Tesla wheels and 90 pounds for the cast wheels. The Interlagos will be 71.4 lbs total and the Nurburgrings 72.3 lbs total.

Reducing the rotational inertia to maximize efficiency

I just read an article that has inspired me to think once more about rotational inertia.

Gordon Murray Frames a New Future for Automaking | Autopia | Wired.com

The other thing that kills you is rotational inertia. If you’ve got a bigger car, you need bigger wheels and tires, and you need a bigger engine, so the crank and the flywheel and the gears are all bigger. If you build a small car with smaller, lighter wheels and a smaller engine, smaller transmission, the inertia drops as well.

I've mentioned in other threads that I am keen on getting semi-solid forged wheels for my Tesla Roadster. I want lighter and stronger than the standard Tesla Motors forged wheels. I am trying to find a way to get SSR Type-C SSF wheels in a 5/110 bolt pattern. They do not seem to have a 16x6 wheel, but they do have 16x7 and 17x7.5

SSR Wheels
$450 16x7.0J +42 offset 12.1 lb (normally 5/114.3)
$510 17x7.5J +49 offset 14.9 lb (normally 5/100)

A set of these for the Roadster might only be $1,920.00 and would total 54 lbs. That's a savings of 14 lbs versus the $2,900 forged Tesla wheels and a savings of 36 lbs versus the stock cast Tesla wheels. The catch is that SSR Wheels would need to make about 40 of these and do crash tests just to change the bolt pattern from what they're already selling in these sizes. I fully expect that the crash testing will raise the price from the $1,920 for similar models quite a bit. Even if they cost more than the Tesla Motors upgrade, I still think it would be worth it.

If anyone else is interested, please say so. It's about time that I called SSR Wheels again to see whether they can quote the cost of altering their existing product with the Tesla Roadster bolt pattern. It would be nice to know that someone else might want lighter wheels without sacrificing strength and performance.​

1990 Honda CRX Si - Barbados Yellow
1998 AM General HMCO - Competition Yellow
2000 Honda S-2000 - Berlina Black
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Very Orange

In response to a few questions earlier in the thread, below is a cut and paste from the seller:

"At this point I do not know the exact offset. I will know exactly once I do the first one. I do know the range it will be in will be correct for the application. It will have enough caliper clearance to clear the brakes and proper offset for the wider wheel than what comes on it from the factory to keep it under the fender and off the suspension components. I measured +++'s car and I know exactly what it will take to fit in the fender wells, now it is just making sure to clear the calipers with all of that in mind.

At this point there are NO factory size replacement wheels that are available to use the factory tires that I know of. I can re-finsh the factory wheels in many different finishes if they want a change though. At this point Plus sizes only."

The car he measured is a 2.5 non-sport.

Hope this helps.

Shrink
I know there were a set of wheels on eBay?

Yeah, I saw those. They were silver forged like my current ones. I was outbid at $1220.01 but reserve wasn't met. Seller relisted at $1500 + shipping but with the additional cost of powder coating and shipping I decided to pass.

This deal here works for me and I'd probably keep my existing silver forged for back up. Still putting it out there to gauge others' interest.