Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show Me Your Coils!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85 coming in October. This time around, I decided to get coils instead of the air suspension. Couldn't justify the air this time around. I want to get a real good feel for how high the coil car sits, so:

If you have some, please post pics of your coil suspension car (if the suspension was modified, please say so)!

rugyta9a.jpg

Love my coils. Came to tesla from a 14 Stingray so I needed that connection with the road I didn't think the air suspension would give me.

Drat. I thought I had some handy on this computer but I don't. I do, however, have a ton of them sprinkled throughout my blog from just about every angle you can imagine.

Basically I don't notice any difference on the rear suspension over an air car but I think in the front you will notice it seems a little higher. Note that I'm also running 19" wheels-- I suspect on 21"s you'd notice the differential on the front suspension even more.

Pics below are from my delivery day-- the grey car (mine) is coils, the green car is JakeP with air suspension.

13-IMG_0189.JPG

24-IMG_0196.JPG

30-IMG_0202.JPG

33-IMG_0205.JPG

So... this picture is completely useless to illustrate that-- but it does of the blog address where all the pictures are.

1-IMG_3471.JPG

Thanks for the pics so far. Wow, those do look pretty high--especially so in the front. Personally, I prefer the lower look but don't think I can justify the extra cost and potential future maintenance of the air suspension anymore. Wish Tesla would drop the body about a half inch...

Thanks for the pics so far. Wow, those do look pretty high--especially so in the front. Personally, I prefer the lower look but don't think I can justify the extra cost and potential future maintenance of the air suspension anymore. Wish Tesla would drop the body about a half inch...

I kind of like the practicality of the current height. Originally I was going to lower mine, but I never really have to worry about scraping the underbody like those with air do, and it handled much better than I expected at Laguna Seca.

I agree it doesn't look as nice, but I think I'm happy to sacrifice that for the other benefits.

928279_759395864105327_1588587745_n.jpg

If I could still get the air today, I would. I'm not saying I hate the way it sits, it's just that everytime I see an air passing by or next to it that I think it's way cooler.

Anyhow, the ride comfort/handling is good enough with coils.

I had a fully loaded P85 loaner a couple of weeks ago with coils. It had absolutely every other option, and I didn't even know you could get a "P" without air. You know what? I think I liked the road feel of the coils better. When I got my car, coils weren't even available.