Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Model S weighs couple-hundred lbs less than earlier cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to see them constantly improving. In another thread, somebody said it was 200lbs less?

They originally had the reinforcements for the rear-facing seat in every car, that is now gone. That might have been in the vicinity of 50lbs.

One part I remember hearing about in terms of weight reduction is the B pillars. I think the originals had high-strength boron-steel to beat more stringent European side impact intrusion tests. I heard they were redesigned to be all aluminum, stronger, cheaper, and easier to manufacture and that change saved 80lbs. Not sure if or when that design change made it into production, but 80 lbs is a lot.

Between weight reduction and the improvements in charging efficiency, could they get a better MPGe rating now?

How would that work since they done have a model year?

When I got my car in June 2013, the car "sticker" showed a 89 MPGe rating. In January or February I was in a Tesla store and the sticker had 95 MPGe. I aksed one of the store personnel, and they had no idea why it had changed, or even noticed it.

When I got my car in June 2013, the car "sticker" showed a 89 MPGe rating. In January or February I was in a Tesla store and the sticker had 95 MPGe. I aksed one of the store personnel, and they had no idea why it had changed, or even noticed it.
I'll check my sticker when I get home, but I think is was still 89MPGe when I got mine in November. Maybe they changed it officially for the 2014 year...

One part I remember hearing about in terms of weight reduction is the B pillars. I think the originals had high-strength boron-steel to beat more stringent European side impact intrusion tests. I heard they were redesigned to be all aluminum, stronger, cheaper, and easier to manufacture and that change saved 80lbs. Not sure if or when that design change made it into production, but 80 lbs is a lot.

Could I use a magnet to test if it's steel or aluminum?