Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And what about a supercharger station near Brownsville, Tx?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was viewing the last north america supercharger locations map for 2015 and i was surprised to see that all continental USA will be covered at the end of 2015 except a little part of south Texas.
I know. There is a few inhabitants there, so few customers for Tesla cars, but as Brownsville city is there, and we know that it is almost certain that SpaceX will establish a private launch center near, i think some Tesla car owners will begin to live there and others (from others texan cities) will want to visit the site in a foresable futur.
Has anybody have already heard about a possible supercharger in that place?

A supercharger there wouldn't help in isolation, it needs to be connected to the major cities. As described in another thread, I think 3 superchargers are needed to connect the I-35 corridor of San Antonio/Austin/Dallas to south Texas- the first is south side of San Antonio (this would also serve the I-10 east-west route), the second is I-37 and US 77 outside of Corpus Christi, and the third is US 77 at Harlingen. This would provide access to South Padre Island, rated as one of the best beaches in the country, and also Brownsville.

I suggested this to the supercharger team last year and received a reply saying that route is "on their radar", whatever than means, but haven't seen or heard anything since. It would help marketing in Texas to have such a route-- the most common question I get about range is "How do you get to the coast?" My answer now is we take our other car.

A supercharger there wouldn't help in isolation, it needs to be connected to the major cities. As described in another thread, I think 3 superchargers are needed to connect the I-35 corridor of San Antonio/Austin/Dallas to south Texas- the first is south side of San Antonio (this would also serve the I-10 east-west route), the second is I-37 and US 77 outside of Corpus Christi, and the third is US 77 at Harlingen. This would provide access to South Padre Island, rated as one of the best beaches in the country, and also Brownsville.

I suggested this to the supercharger team last year and received a reply saying that route is "on their radar", whatever than means, but haven't seen or heard anything since. It would help marketing in Texas to have such a route-- the most common question I get about range is "How do you get to the coast?" My answer now is we take our other car.

Galveston just doesn't cut it, does it? Me neither... ;)

Ok.Thanks to reply.
My idea was that a significant amount of Tesla owners are spaceX fans to, or at least new technology (space) fans . Then, when launches from Boca Chica will eventually begin, a lot of people from Texas and other neighbour states will be interested to see live launches, and among them Tesla owners. Once these launches will not begin before 2016 (i guess), maybe at that time the supercharger stations you are speaking about will be already there.
Sorry, I didn't known about South Padre Island beach (i'm not american:confused:), but i'm glad to known that, and yes, it's a very good reason to put these superchargers to.

I was viewing the last north america supercharger locations map for 2015 and i was surprised to see that all continental USA will be covered at the end of 2015 except a little part of south Texas.
I know. There is a few inhabitants there, so few customers for Tesla cars, but as Brownsville city is there, and we know that it is almost certain that SpaceX will establish a private launch center near, i think some Tesla car owners will begin to live there and others (from others texan cities) will want to visit the site in a foresable futur.
Has anybody have already heard about a possible supercharger in that place?

I live in Harlingen, Texas, 20 minute drive from Brownsville. A supercharging station in our area is the only issue holding me back from purchasing a Model S. I know others from Houston, Dallas, and Los Angeles who are very satisfied with theirs. In fact, i drove one this weekend when my former college roommate from Texas A&M visited Harlingen for 4 days. He had to drive to McAllen twice to fill up. Wth the supossed construction of Space X in Brownsville, i figured we would have been a better choice than McAllen, but I guess i was wrong. I will order one, when they install one. Whether in Brownsville, or Harlingen. Harlingen superchargers would satisfy the South Padre Island visitors during their visits as well. Furthermore, I know 2 doctors who are ready too.

• Informative
Reactions: Atlantis
Having a supercharger near your house isn't nearly as important as having them on the routes that are more than 100 miles from your house, presuming you can charge at home- The whole paradigm of "fueling" is different with an electric car- you wake each morning to a care that is capable of going more than 200 miles. Having a local supercharger will be necessary for those that live in apartments and can't install an EVSE at home ( or a dryer outlet) Even a 120V outlet can add 3 miles per hour of range to the car.

so in summary- don't let the lack of a local supercharger hold you back from driving one of the best cars out there!

I agree with the advice to not let not having a SC in the Harlingen area deter you from getting a Tesla.

Now that there are SCs in Kingsville, getting to Brownsville from Houston to see my nieces and nephew is possible in my Tesla. I was forced into renting an ICE before.

That said, I agree that Harlingen would be a good place for a SC and would have been better than McAllen. Last month, the McAllen site was down and I had to postpone my trip. There aren't any CHAdeMO chargers and the destination chargers in the area are only 40amps. 5 hours to charge up enough to get back to Kingsville is no fun. Maybe you and your doctor acquaintances can install and Plugshare one or two HPWC @ 80amps.