Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clock time incorrect...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently returned from a roadtrip out to British Columbia. Throughout the trip, my Model S adjusted to the various time zones flawlessly. Until I got home to Saskatchewan, that is.

I've been home for 6 and a half days now (let's say a week) and the time is still out by an hour! I've reset both screens, browsed the web and otherwise made use of the car's 3G connection to trigger a time zone request...yet, the time remains incorrect.

What does a Model S use to determine its time anyway? The Cellular network? GPS? Both show the correct time on their respective devices, yet the car does not.

The only thing I can think of is that my town is right on the border of two provinces (both with their own time zone) and it must not consider me to be far enough east to change over to CDT (the correct zone for my region). My location wreaks havoc with my satellite TV service, for example.

I've read earlier threads about people having the incorrect time for a bit after the DST change but, like I mentioned earlier, it's been a WEEK now. That's a bit much, don't you think?

What am I supposed to tell inquiring parties? "Sorry, my car from the future has trouble with its clock."

I know for a fact that the car uses the GPS coordinates to determine the time zone. I know this because once I had a problem where the GPS was in a messed up state after a new firmware update and the car thought it was in Africa somewhere. I only noticed it at first because the time was off by a bunch of hours. After fixing the GPS issue, the time was fixed too. I'm guessing it has something to do with your proximity to the border. Ping Tesla and see if there's something they can do about it.

I had this happen after crossing from Nevada into St George, Utah (not far from the border). My car stayed on pacific time the whole week I was there. It finally changed when I headed further into Utah.

They probably have some threshold when you cross a border so it doesn't drift back and forth if your car has weak signal. Probably stays with the timezone it was on until you cross far enough into the new timezone.

I know for a fact that the car uses the GPS coordinates to determine the time zone. I know this because once I had a problem where the GPS was in a messed up state after a new firmware update and the car thought it was in Africa somewhere. I only noticed it at first because the time was off by a bunch of hours. After fixing the GPS issue, the time was fixed too. I'm guessing it has something to do with your proximity to the border. Ping Tesla and see if there's something they can do about it.
This. The other day, it was showing Eastern time for me. When I looked at the GPS, it had me somewhere in the middle of the South Atlantic Ocean. In the Eastern time zone, but in the middle of the ocean. It corrected itself the next time I started the car up.

Same thing happened to me. It was pointed dead-South in Southern Gabon, near the border with Congo.

(I had a screen-dimming app running at the time)
unnamed.png
unnamed (1).png

GPS signals transmit the time. So you can get accurate time regardless if you have cell service.

But the point is not how accurate the time is, but the time zone. I wouldn't think that time zone info is based on geography because time zones are kind of arbitrary and it just makes more sense to use cell tower signals to handle time zone. The GPS time is not your local time because it has no idea where you are.

But the point is not how accurate the time is, but the time zone. I wouldn't think that time zone info is based on geography because time zones are kind of arbitrary and it just makes more sense to use cell tower signals to handle time zone. The GPS time is not your local time because it has no idea where you are.

Your GPS receiver knows exactly where it is... I agree cell towers work well, but if you are somewhere without cell coverage GPS signals are everywhere.

Your GPS receiver knows exactly where it is... I agree cell towers work well, but if you are somewhere without cell coverage GPS signals are everywhere.

AFAIK, GPS only sends the time in GMT/UTC. In order for the clock to work only with GPS, there would have to be software in the car to take the lat/lon coordinates and translate that into a location, then reference a table of time zones and daylight savings protocols. I think it is getting it's time from the nearest cell tower. If you're out of cell range, the clock will keep on tickin' until it connects to a tower again and updates.

AFAIK, GPS only sends the time in GMT/UTC. In order for the clock to work only with GPS, there would have to be software in the car to take the lat/lon coordinates and translate that into a location, then reference a table of time zones and daylight savings protocols.

Right, this is exactly what devices like Garmin handhelds are doing.

AFAIK, GPS only sends the time in GMT/UTC. In order for the clock to work only with GPS, there would have to be software in the car to take the lat/lon coordinates and translate that into a location, then reference a table of time zones and daylight savings protocols. I think it is getting it's time from the nearest cell tower. If you're out of cell range, the clock will keep on tickin' until it connects to a tower again and updates.

I have a cell phone on AT&T and it updated the time in St George no problem. My car however didn't update until I headed much further into the state, we would have been on the same cell towers. If the car was using the towers, the time would have updated. People posted their gps has been broken and showing them in Africa and it showed the time incorrect, that tells me the car is using gps signal for the time.

Right, this is exactly what devices like Garmin handhelds are doing.

I have a couple year old Garmin that my wife uses when she drives to Chicago. It stays in Eastern time and doesn't automatically flip over to Central unless you go into Settings and tell it which time zone it's in. I have a TomTom app on my iPhone, and it does flip time zones, but I assume that's because it's getting its time from the phone which automatically adjusts based on the cell tower it is connected to.

I have a couple year old Garmin that my wife uses when she drives to Chicago. It stays in Eastern time and doesn't automatically flip over to Central unless you go into Settings and tell it which time zone it's in. I have a TomTom app on my iPhone, and it does flip time zones, but I assume that's because it's getting its time from the phone which automatically adjusts based on the cell tower it is connected to.

Offtopic: GPSmap Series (here 62s): Main Menu - Setup - Time - Time Zone - Automatic
Maybe not all devices support auto Timezones...
/Offtopic

Just to close this thread off; It's looking for sure like it is my location bordering two timezones that is causing this issue. I let my mom take the Model S into the next town (about 100km inside the eastern zone) and the time changed after about 20km en route.

I guess whenever I travel to the west, I'll have to drive past home to the east a bit and then double back if I want the correct time in my Model S. Fortunately this only applies for half the year. The rest of the year, both provinces are on the same time.

Annoying for sure, but I can deal with it.