Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla P85 Drag Racing against an Electric Miata

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Found this rather interesting :D
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]"An 85 kw Tesla Model S Performance Package takes on Mazda Miata with an Electric Motor Conversion in a 1/4 mile drag race. The Miata is powered by a 333-volt lithium-ion battery pack controllers that drive a pair forklift motors at the wheels. The Miata runs an incredible 9.27 @ 142 mph to the Tesla's very respectable 12.72 @ 102 mph."[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago, pre-kids, I had a Miata and absolutely loved it. This... well, there's an idea for the midlife-crisis two-seater.
I bought my wife a 2000 Miata special edition for her birthday 14 years ago, pre-kids. We still have it, it still runs like a champ, but we hardly ever drive it since we had kids starting in 2003. 14 years and a total of...29K miles on the odometer!

That Miata is a record holder:

Assault Battery Sets New EV 1/4 Mile Record at 9.122 Seconds | Inside EVs

I remember seeing a piece about the owner and that car on some EV news piece or documentary not too long ago. It wasn't Revenge of the Electric Car, but I can't remember where I saw it.

Anyway, that Miata is a beast. Very impressive. It'd be fun to do that conversation on a Honda S2000.

Awesome article and video, makes a 9 second fox body mustang look slow! Go little Miata go! :D I agree an s2000 would be a very cool conversion to see, I remember seeing something crazy with batteries being done to an FD Rx-7.

Front-Box-In-Place.jpg

I agree an s2000 would be a very cool conversion to see, I remember seeing something crazy with batteries being done to an FD Rx-7.
Before Tesla changed everything I had a very real plan to convert either an FD or an S2000 (I hadn't really decided which) as a second car for fun around town. Then Tesla proved that it doesn't have to be a "second" car, and everything changed.