Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Riverhouse in Bend OR is installing 4 HPWCs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
My dad and I stayed there with our Models S a few months ago and had a great conversation with the guy who handles the day-to-day physical maintenance. During that visit he ran some extension cords for us to trickle charge over night but we didn't get enough charge to get home on that and ended up having to do some scrounging. We encouraged him to get in touch with Tesla and it would appear as though he listened. More interesting is that Tesla appears to have provided the hotel with the units! This is, quite frankly, just as important, IMHO, as the Supercharger network. Tesla needs to start giving HPWCs to hotels in places like Bend where they're not likely to install Superchargers but where folks with Teslas are likely to go! Now, I have no proof that this is how it actually went down but I like to think we had a small part in it.

One of the points we made the guy at The Riverhouse was that the hotel in the area that puts in charging is the one the Model S owner (person who can afford a nice hotel) is going to stay. There are nicer hotels in Bend but I'll be staying at the Riverhouse in the near future simply because they have charging available

If only the Brasada Ranch would install some HPWC's

call them up. ask them about chargers. when they say no, let them know that you'll be staying at the River House. Nothing gets their attention more than an actual loss of a customer. Be ready to help them understand how to install one. If they get enough requests and see other hotels like the River House taking business away they will have to do it to compete.

A simple call usually does the trick. My small hometown in Minnesota has zero places to charge. When I drive back in my X (hey, it will happen!), I don't want to drive 30 miles to a supercharger, I want to plug in at my hotel. So I called the hotel where I like to stay, got the manager on the line, and simply asked him. They're now working with Tesla's destination program & charging will be in place with plenty of time to spare.

They're excited to be the first hotel in the area providing charging to guests, know about Plugshare and other apps that will direct people to their location, & plan to have the local newspaper write a small blurb on it. It's all good.

The point here is don't wait for someone else to think about putting in charging. If YOU want charging someplace, it's likely the business will be open to it. Make the call, find out. That's a great first step. Much better than Tesla or Chargepoint or some other business making the call ... then everyone is suspicious about what they're up to. You want charging. Ask for it. :)

Well said, Bonnie.

Though, I did get a no from the Hotel we stayed at in Jacksonville, OR. We had to stay there because my in-laws had reserved it for all the relatives (took the entire hotel). Still, they were open to hearing about it so it wasn't a total loss.

They are active and work great ... called them yesterday, and spoke to head of Engineering. He arranged for me to come charge for 4 hours this afternoon (not a hotel guest) ... just call or go to front desk and ask to speak to Engineering about it. They currently do not leave them "on" 24 / 7 and need to flip a switch to activate. They are currently not charging for this even for non guests. YMMV.

Well said, Bonnie.

Though, I did get a no from the Hotel we stayed at in Jacksonville, OR. We had to stay there because my in-laws had reserved it for all the relatives (took the entire hotel). Still, they were open to hearing about it so it wasn't a total loss.

I tried several places in Burns, Oregon (between Bend and Boise, ID) and kept getting, "We're not interested". So I wrote to the local newspaper editor, with, "Do you think there's a story here?" with someone offering to put in and pay for a charger and installation and no one wants to be bothered. I had talked to managers who thought it was a great idea, etc., but when they contacted the owners, it was, "Meh.""

The newspaper editor jumped on it. We have now had several more meetings, many businesses want to be involved, and things look like they will move forward.

I was not trying to pressure anyone, just asking the question, "You want to promote your town and advance tourism, and here's are families with a couple-three hours on hand that want to spend time and money at your business, but no one is interested?"

They are active and work great ... called them yesterday, and spoke to head of Engineering. He arranged for me to come charge for 4 hours this afternoon (not a hotel guest) ... just call or go to front desk and ask to speak to Engineering about it. They currently do not leave them "on" 24 / 7 and need to flip a switch to activate. They are currently not charging for this even for non guests. YMMV.

I was in Bend last weekend and the front desk charged me $8 to plug my car in because I was not a guest. So yeah, YMMV.