Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The LA Sales & Service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: What is this??

Ding ding ding ding!

We have a winner. Greeenspeed nailed it. (too easy?)

This is the location of the first Tesla Motor showroom in Santa Monica. Sched. to open 4Q this year.

I should say the actual address is not on the building but the building numbers on either side of this one make it likely.

Oh, This should probably get moved to "Tesla Motors History"

*interior pic*

The SF Peninsula location is supposed to open soon afterwards.

I know the likely location (but can't say) but it is likely to be in a prominent location appropriate to affluent customers.

Just like your Santa Monica building, there is an existing empty structure ready for a build-out...

Re: What is this?? Tesla SM Showroom

I'll say it's a before picture.

By the way, this is the left half of a stand alone empty building. The right half has a different address but as I think about it Tesla would probably take over both sides and adopt the left site address. You can see in the interior view (last post) that the wall between them could be removed.

It's just a question how "Boutique" a Dealership is. I would think with a service shop, 1 to 4 (future) cars on display, customer lounge, offices etc. maybe just the pictured left half would be a bit small.

The left sold gym equipment and I think the right was children’s furniture. Now it's just gathering Garffiti

Here is the back of the right side.

From the front it looks like a sort of small building for a car dealership. I guess if you don't keep a lot full of inventory, you don't need so much space.

The Lotus dealership in Austin is about the same size and they crammed about 30 cars into their showroom. Granted they were tiny cars, but it was still crazy.

Perhaps it doesn't matter, but I believe that building is actually in Los Angeles, on Santa Monica Boulevard about one-half block east of the 405 Freeway. (Santa Monica city is about a mile west.) It's not an especially tony location, but it's convenient to most of the Westside communities. I didn't check out parking when I drove by this morning, but there's little street parking in any case.

From Google maps, with a few annotations...

(No Photoshop on this computer, so it's a poor image...)

Attachments

• TM.jpg
    TM.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

A helicopter and a Roadster - now that's the life! The car is almost light enough that he could tote it along, too.

I'll be curious to see how the location works out. I met with a client once at the Starbucks there; it wasn't easy to find parking, and it's an awfully frenetic comer. During rush hour -- which seems to be all business hours these days -- the 405 on-and-off ramps clog up Santa Monica Blvd. East bound traffic (requiring a left turn to the store) will probably need to make a trip around the block.

But the building itself has potential.

Do keep in mind that this location hasn't been confirmed by Tesla. Perhaps vfx got the wrong info?

By the way, my dad lives 6 blocks from there...

TEG said:
Do keep in mind that this location hasn't been confirmed by Tesla. Perhaps vfx got the wrong info?

By the way, my dad lives 6 blocks from there...

I'd imagine property records in CA work like in most states. If you'all are familiar with the area, find the website (if one exists) for the county recorders. Otherwise, it may take a personal trip down to the recorder's to ask a clerk who owns the property. This is a public record. There should be the latest recording of the deed (and mortgage) of the property owners. You'll likely find the Tesla name or one of its affiliate-owners or companies. Anyone familiar with the county records enough to type in an address and see who owns it?

Dave

DDB said:
I'd imagine property records in CA work like in most states.

CA AB 2238 appears to restrict much of that info these days.
It was originally intended to protect public official's home addresses, but it seems the counties just use it as a general reason to keep business ownership records private as well.
(Everyone is probably related to a public official somehow)

Also, many businesses lease their properties so it could be a mistake to assume that they own it...

In most instances the real estate is never owned by the operating company that is using the real estate. Its usually leased and the landlord is an affiliate company or an outside 3rd party.

A small dealership is usually on 2 acres with 10,000 to 15,000 square feet of building, this location would be ideal for a showroom application to display the product, disseminate information, offer roadtests.

Brent's Google image highlights the same building I shot.

Do keep in mind that this location hasn't been confirmed by Tesla.  Perhaps vfx got the wrong info?

!!

But TEG, since I never said the location then it looks like Brent was driving down the right street in the right town and happened to recognize the nondescript abandoned building from my picture.  :D

By the way, you can see the building pretty well from stopped traffic on the 405 freeway from the northbound slow lane. I'll try and grab a shot next time.

Beside the parking pointed out in the map view, there are 5 or so parking spots in back that may be alocated to this building.