Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50A blue commando

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to my UMC user's manual, the limit is a 40 amp draw for North America, and 32 amps for "Rest of World", which I guess includes the UK. Maybe someone on this forum who has knowledge beyond what the manual says can give some further input, but it sounds to me like that's it. Personally, I only charge at 24 amps, because I am on my third UMC, and I was told that lower amperage = lower charging temperature, and Tesla Service said part of the reason for their failure was that they were getting too hot during charging.

Ok so if i fit a 63A breaker would the 30A UMC still be upto the job for 50A?
No, because the 30A UMC contains a circuit to generate a pilot signal indicating that the maximum current it can deliver is 30A. That tells the car to not draw more than 30A. You would need a new circuit to produce a pilot signal indicating 50A capacity. (Depending upon how the circuit works, it might be possible to accomplish this change by changing firmware in the circuit.)

I don't know how the 30A UMC that you have compares to the original 30A charge cables provided by Tesla in the US, but the latter devices contained a GFCI that was rated for only 30A. That is why the unit was limited to 30A and not 32A (that a 40A breaker allows) or 40A (that a 50A breaker allows and that matches the NEMA 14-50 connector that the cable came with). I was told that Tesla could not find a suitable GFCI for the higher current.

The Tesla UMC is limited to 32A in the UK. You could build your own portable EVSE (I have a 63A EVSE) but you'll find very few "command" sockets with more than 32A in the UK.

In the UK we don't do the 80% current derating that they do in the US so just ignore all those comments :smile: