Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure could have used it last weekend on our way to Maine. We ended up stopping at the Natick Mall store for a bit extra, which was not bad as they have two HPWCs and several NEMA 14-50s in the test drive parking garage, just across from JCPenney. We'll do that on the way home as well, as Portland to Milford is 396 km vs 416 max rated range. In the summer we could probably do this with range to spare, but my spouse would be nervous about it, or is that an excuse for shopping Natick ;-)

Sure could have used it last weekend on our way to Maine. We ended up stopping at the Natick Mall store for a bit extra, which was not bad as they have two HPWCs and several NEMA 14-50s in the test drive parking garage, just across from JCPenney. We'll do that on the way home as well, as Portland to Milford is 396 km vs 416 max rated range. In the summer we could probably do this with range to spare, but my spouse would be nervous about it, or is that an excuse for shopping Natick ;-)

One day, Portsmouth, Portland and Bangor will have Superchargers, but it's looking like 2014 might be referring to the Muslim calendar.

Looks like construction has started. A trench, for power I assume, has been dug from one side of the parking lot to the place where the charging stations will be. Plus, there are Tesla boxes!!

TeslaBoxes.png

I'm very disappointed that they chose to build it at exit 10 and not exit 9 which is where 84 comes in (Sturbridge). So now I'd have to get off the Masspike at exit 10 to charge, then back on for one more exit to get to 84. Yes, I know Rt 20 runs between the two, but that's a slower road with lights and local traffic (and cops). Not fun. I don't really see what advantage Exit 10 has over 9.

Reactions: kayak1
(LMB spouse)

@HankLloydRight - During peak holiday travel, there can be huge back-ups at the Exit 9 tolls. Through traffic would need to traverse these tolls twice if the Superchargers were at Exit 9.

But that's once (or maybe twice) a year (Usually Thanksgiving-- I know, I lived in Boston for 17 years and drove this route hundreds of times).

So instead of preventing the "thru traffic" from traversing the tolls during a few busy times each year, they make everyone heading south get off at exit 10 and also exit 9. And in my experience, MOST of the traffic on the MP gets off at exit 9 anyway, so the amount of "thru traffic" (90W) is not anywhere near as much as traffic heading south on 84. So as to convenience a few, they inconvenience the many. Doesn't make sense to me.

But that's once (or maybe twice) a year (Usually Thanksgiving-- I know, I lived in Boston for 17 years and drove this route hundreds of times).

So instead of preventing the "thru traffic" from traversing the tolls during a few busy times each year, they make everyone heading south get off at exit 10 and also exit 9. And in my experience, MOST of the traffic on the MP gets off at exit 9 anyway, so the amount of "thru traffic" (90W) is not anywhere near as much as traffic heading south on 84. So as to convenience a few, they inconvenience the many. Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm just happy that we're finally getting one on the pike!

Yee haw. Great to see this finally resolved after the amount of time this central MA red dot has spent bouncing around between Sturbridge, Charlton, and finally the Auburn Mall. It does make one wonder what gyrations were gone through in setting this course.

But ironically, I'm now more excited about the SC at W. Hartford, CT, because it is just about 1/3 of the distance from Maine to Maryland, and that makes for a neat two-stop trip of about 900 total km.

3mp_kwh, I'm curious what you meant here? Portsmouth and Portland are only 50 miles apart. Why would you need a SC between them? There is one coming soon to Portsmouth, and later to somewhere Portland-Freeport, and later still to Bangor, in the plan.

At this point, I might turn into a MS60 buyer, if either a CHAdeMO adapter or SC were possible between Portsmouth, NH, and Portland, ME (I-95 coast).

Portsmouth and Portland are only 50 miles apart. Why would you need a SC between them? There is one coming soon to Portsmouth, and later to somewhere Portland-Freeport, and later still to Bangor, in the plan.

At the risk of putting words in someone else's mouth, I think the meaning was 'somewhere in that area', which will be satisfied by either the planned SC in Portsmouth, or by the one in (/near) Portland.

As you can see from my location, I am sensitive to the prospects of extending the SC network northeastward.
Though I understand the sales here don't warrant it, and won't for many years I'd love to see one in ~Digby, to serve ferry passengers from either Portland-Yarmouth or St.John-Digby.