Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip: Seattle to southern Oregon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
Last weekend, my wife and I drove from North Seattle to Jacksonville, OR and back. With side trips, it was just a touch under 1000 miles. 8 supercharger stops, 2 Black Bear breakfasts (get the Volcano for a gut buster!), no issues with the car and one very stupid conversation with a non-believer. We averaged about 340 wh/mi.

My favorite part of the trip was when my wife was driving. She passed a couple of trucks and I looked over at the speedometer and it read 99 and then went to 100. I said, "you just hit triple digits" and she goes "oops" with a big smile on her face.

Least favorite part of the trip was getting out of the Puget Sound region - 3 hours to get Olympia.

On the way back we had 2 more passengers including one running an oxygen generator off the aux power port. Didn't seem to affect power usage at all.

The non-believer was willfully ignorant, I just wanted to walk away but he was nothing if not persistent. He kept trying to tell me that his Prius was better than my Tesla because "It gets 50 MPG" and can go anywhere. He didn't believe that I could make it to Seattle. What shut him up was me telling him that the 1000 mile trip cost $0 out of pocket. He looked at me as if I was lying. So I explained how superchargers work. I think the reason he shut up was because he was unable to process the concept.

Sounds like you had a good time. I recently did a trip from Portland to San Jose (680 miles in one day). When I was charging in Springfield a guy came out of the hotel with his family and said "Nice Tesla, what kind of gas mileage do you get?" This stumped me for a second because he recognized it as a Tesla, sees me charging and asks what my MPG is. I ended up saying that it's really bad if I were to actually try using gas. Then in Grants Pass, I guy comes up to me while I'm cleaning the windshield. He asks the usual questions about range (impressed with my answer) and other things. He then says "Too bad even with that range you can't go very far on trips like I can with my Trans Am." I explain to him that I had left Portland that morning and will be in San Jose before night, that these things behind me can charge the car in about 40 minutes and Tesla has them about every 100-130 miles on I-5. Needless to say, he was shocked. :smile: