Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for what to do when "ICE'd"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to create a card to place on ICE vehicles parked in an EV charging spot. I believe an educational approach would be best but am open to suggestions, which is why I am opening this thread. Plug-In North Central Washington has 13 sites and some have experienced ICEing. Our hosts do not want to enforce the Washington State fine because nearly all of their customers drive ICEs and they believe that most ICE drivers at their sites have simply "not seen or understood" the signage. Because of this I thought Plug-In NCW could produce a notice that our host operators or others could place on the ICE blocking the spot. What would you say?

I think the big question is how best to change their behavior. Threats or an appeal to reason. Personally, I prefer the appeal to reason approach but sometimes you just need to beat people over the head. If there wasn't an economic penalty, people would park in handicapped spots all the time. Though, I think there is now a social control - people that park in handicapped spots and don't display the tag get glared at.

I agree that the appeal to reason is better than a threat; for pretty much any type of driver (didn't read the signs; unaware how important charging spots were; "just inside for a minute", baby emergency, disliking EVs, forgot to plug in, etc) it seems that the appeal to reason will work as well or better than a threat (there are cases where neither will help). Threats can turn people off to our cause.

There has been some sample text floated before, including on these forums.

I used to think a lot of people didn't read the signs; but a local driver (before the parking fine was passed in WA) once posted a "$250 Fine" sign below the "No parking except for charging" sign at a very commonly ICEd DCQC, then sat back and watched as car after car pulled in to the spot and then pulled out. From that experiment it seems that people DO see the signs; but don't generally think it's important enough that they go somewhere else. There will always be a few that park there just because they don't like EV drivers, but I think their numbers are few and nothing we could write would help; only the possibility of a fine or towing might for them. For most ICErs, I think they know it's for EVs but don't see an EV there and don't see the harm - much how handicapped spots were treated at first. I think the best approach would be to explain why it's important that they be left empty even though they aren't seen in use now. Most people will do the right thing if they think through the implications of their actions; but they just haven't thought everything through for a new type of car they don't have experience with.

In states like WA where there is a fine, I like the approach that one suggested card (I can't remember where I saw it) took - it was largely written as a friendly note trying to help them avoid a ticket in the future. It's also nice to throw in a chance for them to get to learn more about EVs.

HERE is one from the Seattle LEAF owners.

HERE is a web page (not a card, but could easily be adapted) from the Seattle EVA.

Last edited:
Th OP said the host of the charging station is reluctant to enforce the fine because they believe that most ICE drivers have "not seen or understood the signage." Here is a situation that I documented. The EV charging spaces were clearly marked with green paint and huge lettering. One day I happened to drive by and almost all the charging stations were ICEd. The property manager had left notes on the cars in the charging spots.

I then noticed someone walking to one of the cars, they grabbed the note, got into their car and I recorded what happened next on my iPhone. Just watch the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Th OP said the host of the charging station is reluctant to enforce the fine because they believe that most ICE drivers have "not seen or understood the signage." Here is a situation that I documented. The EV charging spaces were clearly marked with green paint and huge lettering. One day I happened to drive by and almost all the charging stations were ICEd. The property manager had left notes on the cars in the charging spots.

I then noticed someone walking to one of the cars, they grabbed the note, got into their car and I recorded what happened next on my iPhone. Just watch the video.

Wow. those spots better marked than any I've seen. I'm guessing the spots are in a good location, so they parked there anyway (just like people parking in Handicapped spots)

The only way to discourage people like that is to ticket and or tow them.

I noticed the flyer just said if you are not charging, please don't park here. Maybe it should explain why charging spots are important to EV's, etc. Something along the lines of how frustrating it would be to pull up to the only gas station for miles around only to find someone parked blocking the pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess there aren't any laws in Maryland like most states about this issue.

There is a law now! At least in the county where I live where this happened. In fact the council voted last Friday to approve the legislation. It was incidents like the one in the video that led me to ask my County Council representative to introduce the bill. (Bills before the Maryland legislature have failed three years in a row.)

It took time and effort and persistence but it finally paid off. :smile:

I detail the process here in case you are interested.