Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I take my Model S in for it's yearly service. A couple days after I get it back, I notice a triangular piece of what appears to be a gasket protruding from under the passenger side mirror support. I take the car back to the Service Center and ask if the mirror had been removed for some reason. They assured me that they had not and that maybe the gasket had "oozed" out in the heat (70 degrees). Now, I find that surprising as the car is a year old and it had never happened before here in the moderate temperatures of the Pacific Northwest. Also, the seam is so tight that I can not even get a finger nail under the edge. I contacted Customer Service in Palo Alto and asked for an explanation from Engineering. Over a month and no response!

I did not purchase the Tech Package and I hope that some parts were not removed during service that may have been originally installed. (Specifically those parts that allow the mirror to adjust when backing up). Not so farfetched as my car came with several options I did not purchase due to it's earlier number. Frankly, all I am asking for is a reasonable explanation from Tesla about how this could have happened. I am not into conspiracy theories but this does not make sense!

Has this happened to others?

If so, why no response from Tesla?

Remember, they took away your ability to lower your car (if you had purchased air suspension) without telling you. . .

Why would they physically take away parts that were already there? That seems like a lot of work to reclaim used part. What options did your car come with that you didn't pay for?

I guess I'm not seeing the issue. If something broke on the car did Tesla not fix it? They also returned the feature to auto lower and actually added the ability to adjust the speed at which this happens. That was software, not physically removing your entire suspension in secret at a service visit.

I had a similar issue shortly after I got my car with a little piece of gasket sticking out from the passenger side mirror. First time they tried to fix it I think they just tried to tuck it back in. They ended up just cutting that little piece off the next time I was in for service and it's been fine ever since. This was many months back.

There is a felt triangular piece in the mirror assembly. How often does your mirror retract? It may be a simple wear-and-tear issue.

The triangular felts piece is simply there by sticky back...if water gets in there, over time, it may lose its adhesion and start to bunch up.

Tesla has made several attempts to deal with wind noise coming in through the door panels in that general area. Could it simply be some new seal that was installed (perhaps incorrectly) when your car was in for service? They tend to do little upgrades like this proactively without you having to ask.

I did not purchase the Tech Package and I hope that some parts were not removed during service that may have been originally installed. (Specifically those parts that allow the mirror to adjust when backing up). Not so farfetched as my car came with several options I did not purchase due to it's earlier number. Frankly, all I am asking for is a reasonable explanation from Tesla about how this could have happened. I am not into conspiracy theories but this does not make sense!
You mean your car included things that are now options, presumably.

From what I recall, the automatically adjusting backup mirrors are part of the driver profiles feature. This feature was moved between packages (like leather seating, then to tech), and is just a software thing they can turn on and off. Someone on this forum lost it during an update and Tesla turned it back on remotely. It's just software.