Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla & Mobileye

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so. Tesla will most likely find a way to do this "in house" and Mobileye will be phased out from developing anything for Tesla. There's so many other aftermarket companies doing the same thing so Mobileye doesn't seem any different. Just because its installed in some Model S, it doesn't really mean anything. My opinion is its all hype. I've seen the product and I'm not impressed. What ever happened to the good old days of just being a good driver and paying attention to the road?

I don't think so. Tesla will most likely find a way to do this "in house" and Mobileye will be phased out from developing anything for Tesla. There's so many other aftermarket companies doing the same thing so Mobileye doesn't seem any different. Just because its installed in some Model S, it doesn't really mean anything. My opinion is its all hype. I've seen the product and I'm not impressed. What ever happened to the good old days of just being a good driver and paying attention to the road?

Actually, Mobile Eye is the industry leader. BMW, GM, Chrysler, and others use (and continue to use) Mobileye in their vehicles. Which Mobileye product have you used? Was it their aftermarket products? If so, I'd reserve judgment until you see the Model X or any other current vehicle on the road with Mobileye technology integrated as OEM.

I do not believe Elon Musk would be boasting about having the first autonomous vehicle to go from "On ramp to Off ramp" if he believed Tesla would be developing this technology in-house. If it was easy to accomplish, BMW would have accomplished it in-house or required Bosch or Continental to increase their efforts. Autonomous driving technology is necessary to receive the highest European crash test rating (Euro NCAP Advanced). http://www.euroncap.com/rewards/explained.aspx, Also, it speaks volumes that BMW uses Mobileye over Bosch and continental, they are focused on European crash test ratings. Tesla chose the best partner, and I believe they will be more aggressive in exploring and integrating Mobileye's capabilities than the current manufacturers, which is why Elon Musk is claiming to be the first with "on ramp to off ramp" autonomous driving.

These technologies are not intended to replace "the good old days" they are intended to assist the driver. I too like the good old days, and this technology is not intended to replace it. Just enhance it.
Examples of technologies | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

What ever happened to the good old days of just being a good driver and paying attention to the road?
I personally know the guy who floored accelerator while intending to break hard... Two Tesla Model S drivers did the same, both crashing into restaurants. Think of how many people have heart attacks, sudden cardiac arrests, diabetic comas, seizures and alike, all while driving. If cars could sense obstacles and press brakes there would be less accidents. This is what Mobileye tech is about.

I personally know the guy who floored accelerator while intending to break hard... Two Tesla Model S drivers did the same, both crashing into restaurants. Think of how many people have heart attacks, sudden cardiac arrests, diabetic comas, seizures and alike, all while driving. If cars could sense obstacles and press brakes there would be less accidents. This is what Mobileye tech is about.

This technology would be nice if it were used to save lives in instances with seizures, heart attacks and such. But in reality, especially in a city like LA, its just going to help the driver send a text or email without having to pay any attention. Then who's to blame?

This technology would be nice if it were used to save lives in instances with seizures, heart attacks and such. But in reality, especially in a city like LA, its just going to help the driver send a text or email without having to pay any attention. Then who's to blame?
So you are basically saying that active safety tech should not be developed and deployed... I do not agree.

I think many of us fear the "Big Brother aspect of this...I certainly do not want some simple, sullen bureaucrat telling me that at age 70 (for example), I can no longer drive my own car because a computer operated car is statistically safer...there is a fine line to be walked here...

So you are basically saying that active safety tech should not be developed and deployed... I do not agree.

I think many of us fear the "Big Brother aspect of this...I certainly do not want some simple, sullen bureaucrat telling me that at age 70 (for example), I can no longer drive my own car because a computer operated car is statistically safer...there is a fine line to be walked here...

I agree with that but, when you are 80, do you want your children staging an intervention and taking your car keys away?

Not if it includes eyes-on-the-road technology advertised as catching you drifting off, but really about distraction.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean the good old days when injuries and deaths per VMT was higher?

If Tesla is going to use the Mobileye system in their cars, Mobileye will need to greatly improve their technology. I have the aftermarket version in my car (installed by Elie at Al & Ed's). There are so many glaring flaws with the system that most of the time I have to turn it off. Unless you drive like Mrs. Daisy and keep three car lengths of space between you and the car in front of you the system will constantly go off. There is no way to turn down the volume of the glaringly loud alerts and there is no adjustment for driving styles. So yes, if you are over 80 and drive like a grandmother the system might be of some use, but if you drive like a normal driver you are constantly bombarded with loud beeps and warnings.

If Tesla is going to use the Mobileye system in their cars, Mobileye will need to greatly improve their technology. I have the aftermarket version in my car (installed by Elie at Al & Ed's). There are so many glaring flaws with the system that most of the time I have to turn it off. Unless you drive like Mrs. Daisy and keep three car lengths of space between you and the car in front of you the system will constantly go off. There is no way to turn down the volume of the glaringly loud alerts and there is no adjustment for driving styles. So yes, if you are over 80 and drive like a grandmother the system might be of some use, but if you drive like a normal driver you are constantly bombarded with loud beeps and warnings.

Mobileye's technology incorporated at the OEM level is different (and world's better) than the aftermarket products. It is a better experience (and better technology) when installed at the OEM level.

I want this stock.

Tried to buy SCTY at IPO... Put in an order at $19 I think (IPO price was $15). Never got shares.

Same with GPRO. IPO:ed at $18? I put in an order at $22, never executed.

I have no friends at GS and I'm a small retail investor. So what to do? A market buy order Aug 1st seems too scary for me..,

Mobileye's technology incorporated at the OEM level is different (and world's better) than the aftermarket products. It is a better experience (and better technology) when installed at the OEM level.

Let's hope so. My Lexus LS600hL had a pre-collision system that worked perfectly. The aftermarket Mobileye system in my Model S is almost unusable. I actually wind up turning if off most of the time when I have passengers in the car because it is incredibly loud (and you cannot adjust the forward collision warning volume) and startles people. I really hope Tesla does a better job of integrating it in the car.

Let's hope so. My Lexus LS600hL had a pre-collision system that worked perfectly. The aftermarket Mobileye system in my Model S is almost unusable. I actually wind up turning if off most of the time when I have passengers in the car because it is incredibly loud (and you cannot adjust the forward collision warning volume) and startles people. I really hope Tesla does a better job of integrating it in the car.
I assume that is for the dash-mounted display. What about using the smartphone app instead? And what year's technology is it? They added a lot in 2012, judging from the IPO.

True Phil, it is a double edged sword indeed...I deal with the problems of "senior drivers" in my job every week...in a small town like the one I am domiciled in, I see that family doctors are extremely reluctant to remove driving privileges and that this reluctance results in truly unqualified drivers retaining their licenses...I have had to speak with numerous children to initiate these types of "interventions", with only moderate success...it seems the children want the family doctor to initiate the process, but the doctors wants the kids to do it...nobody wants to be the bad guy who has to drop the hammer...

What I am afraid of is a bureaucratic blanket approach (like governments typically employ)...i.e. stats show computer driven cars are much safer than (for example a 70 year old driver) thus you as an individual are mandated to only "use" a computer driven car...this is patently wrong...in my book of business, I have lousy 55 year old drivers that probably shouldn't be driving, and drivers with clear records (such as my 86 year old parents)...a bureaucratic "one size fits all" approach here would be completely unfair imo...

I agree with that but, when you are 80, do you want your children staging an intervention and taking your car keys away?

True Phil, it is a double edged sword indeed...I deal with the problems of "senior drivers" in my job every week...in a small town like the one I am domiciled in, I see that family doctors are extremely reluctant to remove driving privileges and that this reluctance results in truly unqualified drivers retaining their licenses...I have had to speak with numerous children to initiate these types of "interventions", with only moderate success...it seems the children want the family doctor to initiate the process, but the doctors wants the kids to do it...nobody wants to be the bad guy who has to drop the hammer...

What I am afraid of is a bureaucratic blanket approach (like governments typically employ)...i.e. stats show computer driven cars are much safer than (for example a 70 year old driver) thus you as an individual are mandated to only "use" a computer driven car...this is patently wrong...in my book of business, I have lousy 55 year old drivers that probably shouldn't be driving, and drivers with clear records (such as my 86 year old parents)...a bureaucratic "one size fits all" approach here would be completely unfair imo...

I'd not be worried about the gub'mint on this. I'd be worried about the doctors. The doctors will readily sign off on automation endorsements.