Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max charge: 407 km rated range, actual capable rated range: <380 km (@ 190 wh/km)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car says: max charge at 407km of rated range. (Meaning: 407km if consumption is 200 wh/km)
At the end of the trip (without stopping): The car did 377 km with average energy of 190 wh/km with 4km left.

If I understand this properly, my real actual max charge gives me less than 380km of rated range on a full charge. (< 237 miles)
This means I lost more than 50km (>31miles) after 1.5 year, am I correct?

Have you noticed the same degradation level?
I attached a picture of my last trip, it is in km. Next time, I will set the unit of the car in miles.

No air conditioning / heating was used during this trip

Thanks for sharing your numbers / real life experience about your actual capable rated range.

I also created a shared public spreadsheet: Battery Stats - Google Sheets

Attachments

• IMG_20140706_000126.jpg
    IMG_20140706_000126.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 899
Last edited:
I have noticed too that one has to spend 190Wh/km or less to be about on-par with the typical range deduction, the reason seems to be that starting from some firmware (5.9?) the climate usage isn't reported in this usage. Therefore your actual Wh/km are higher. When I got me car in Dec '13 I could spend 79kWh and still drive (battery indicator showed 4% remaining even though I was 10km already past charge now. Now it's more like 70-72kWh from full charge that I'm approaching 0 with far less behind charge now. Though I usually range charge to 398-402km I've been able to go 396km with 24km left snd average around 186Wh/km, but it wasn't a hot day so cooling probably didn't work that hard.

Car says: max charge at 407km of rated range. (Meaning: 407km if consumption is 178 wh/km)

Corrected. Rated range is not at 200Wh/km but more like 178Wh/km.

Your numbers looks fine, 407 is on the low side (to me) but I'm only at 16,000km. I get 420km for a 100% charge, down from the 430 initially. But its hard to base anything on these 100% charge numbers because when I updated from 5.8 to 5.9 (or 5.11, not sure) I went back to 430km 100% range... Its an estimation, not an exact representation...

For comparison, distance to 0 km remaining:

At 178Wh/km I get 420km max (rated range is 420 for 100% charge on my car) 90-100km/h no headwind, flat terrain
At 200Wh/km I get 365km (120km/h, no headwind, flat terrain)
At 250Wh/km I get 305km (cold winter, snow)

I have not run my battery to anything below bout 35 miles, but I can tell you this: When my car was new, a Range Charge gave me 265 miles on the nose. I now get around 241 after 17 months and 31,000 miles of ownership. That's about a 10% reduction. In my case, it may not actually be that bad because I've never "tested" it by running it right down, and the car's calculation may be somewhat skewed by the fact that I rarely charge to full and run to empty.

My Current TESLA which is only 7 months old and with 5060km. When purchased NEW i was getting @ 90% 474km. Now I get 471km. My Rated range is 364km or 226miles. My energy usage is quite low, I think, for a P85D. From NEW it is 189wh/km
I am a little disappointed to see this much degradation to my battery with so little usage.

Many people have reported, and there indications from the LiIon battery literature, that degradation proceeds a little more rapidly at the very beginning, then levels off so a much slower rate for a long time (at least 5 years). So I would not be too concerned. Those of us with 3-year-old batteries are seeing very little additional degradation.

Many people have reported, and there indications from the LiIon battery literature, that degradation proceeds a little more rapidly at the very beginning, then levels off so a much slower rate for a long time (at least 5 years). So I would not be too concerned. Those of us with 3-year-old batteries are seeing very little additional degradation.

Yep. See my post above from last summer. I'm now at 61,000 miles and seeing almost exactly the same numbers as I did 14 months ago.

Car says: max charge at 407km of rated range. (Meaning: 407km if consumption is 200 wh/km)
At the end of the trip (without stopping): The car did 377 km with average energy of 190 wh/km with 4km left.

If I understand this properly, my real actual max charge gives me less than 380km of rated range on a full charge. (< 237 miles)
This means I lost more than 50km (>31miles) after 1.5 year, am I correct?

Have you noticed the same degradation level?
I attached a picture of my last trip, it is in km. Next time, I will set the unit of the car in miles.

No air conditioning / heating was used during this trip

Thanks for sharing your numbers / real life experience about your actual capable rated range.

I also created a shared public spreadsheet: Battery Stats - Google Sheets

I forget where I read it, but ideal range is based on 188 wh/km. And I've found that this works out pretty much exactly on my various trips.