Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously, When will the Honeymoon Phase Be Over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had my MS since late March 2014, since that time I've put over 7k miles on it, plus the fact that I've been out of town for about 8 weeks total since that time.

I look for every and any excuse to get in my car and drive, for no reason other than to drive.

I've been driving for 27yrs, had a new car every 2-3yrs since that time, I've had 9 second street legal drag cars, but I've never loved driving any of them as much as my MS.
Financially for this car to make sense I plan to keep it much longer that my past vehicles. At this rate that should be no problem.

So my question is to all of you early adopters, when will the fun end?

I guess there's really no words to express the joy of driving an MS. Elon really did build a "compelling" electric car. It's actually the most compelling car I've ever been in.

Last edited:
Got our first one in Oct of 2012. My wife and I ignored our second car all winter, used it as little as possible.
Bought our second one in May or 2013.
38,000 on the first, 16,000 on the second.
Drove the first one to Ca and back, as well as to any car shows I can find.

I am sure the service center is ready to take out a restraining order on me, and I know if a store opens locally, they will be warned about me.

So no, I don't know when the honeymoon phase is over:)

Oh, BTW, I am an introvert :rolleyes:

14 months and still pinch myself every time I drive this machine, saving lots of money on gas but spending it on food due to the fact that my wife and I always says to each other, let's go for a drive and have some lunch somewhere. Any excuse to go for a drive is welcome.

Every day I get ready to drive, and say, I cant believe I drive a Tesla !
and I say pimp my ride, Because that is exactly what Tesla motors has accomplished
right from the factory.
I have driven all sorts of cars in my life, nothing is in the same universe as this car !!
not just love ( in L O V E )

Nov 2012. Sig Performance upgraded to P+. It never gets old. I work at home so I'm not a commuter driver. But, I get out for about a ten mile round trip almost every day. On Sundays we drive to a church with a 120 mile round trip. It is still as satisfying as the very first day. I didn't expect this kind of great, but I am so glad I get it. Literally, every day, is a joy.

When you -- as hundreds and hundreds of other a Tesla owners have -- get a crease in your hood because a well-known Tesla design defect almost guarantees damage to the hood if it is not closed (say, by a random valet) in the precise and special way Tesla recommends.

8 months and 11K miles and I still feel like I'm "driving the future" every time I get in the car. The awesomeness doesn't get old. Everything else on the road just seems so last century to me. Range anxiety is incomprehensible.

Ready to sell the Porsche and buy a Roadster. Don't want to have anything to do with oil and gasoline.

5 years and 45k on the Roadster, 2 years and 25k on the Model S. I'm amazed at how much they got right even back on the Roadster - not only is it fun in the twisties, but it's good in bad weather (well, what we get around here anyway), extremely easy to drive in heavy traffic, and aside from the rough suspension and lack of storage space it was even really nice for several very long trips. I was expecting more compromises in a sports car. People still think it's a new car and I still look for excuses to go for a drive and hit the accelerator.

The Model S, while not quite as exciting every minute, really bumps up the tech, space, and smoothness.

Based on my experience with the Prius, it only ends when something better, like the Model S, comes up. It has really never ended for the DS-21 and that was many years ago--even though I no longer own it, I often wish that I still did.

If you are Texex it would be about 3 months. ;)

I've had my MS for just over a year now and feel like I don't get to drive it enough. I have a short commute and family commitments prevent me from making longer trips in the Tesla (we use the family truckster for longer trips). I need to find more excuses to just drive.

I'd love to replace the family ICE with the Model X (which I assume will be just as awesome as the Model S). Then all I need to do is convert my riding lawnmower to electric and I will be off oil for everything (except heating, and I'm reducing that as much as I can in New England).

I think part of it is driving electric. I've had a Volt for 3.5 years with ~43K miles (~75% grid charged battery only driving) and still love the car. I have a Sig deposit on a Model X now but will keep the Volt in the family. Rented a cabin in GA a few weeks back and quite a few little steep hills to get back to it. Charged up through the kitchen window just so I could drive SMOOTH electric on those hills and to the small towns nearby.

I think part of it is driving electric. I've had a Volt for 3.5 years with ~43K miles (~75% grid charged battery only driving) and still love the car. I have a Sig deposit on a Model X now but will keep the Volt in the family. Rented a cabin in GA a few weeks back and quite a few little steep hills to get back to it. Charged up through the kitchen window just so I could drive SMOOTH electric on those hills and to the small towns nearby.
Agreed. I think this is one of the reasons I balk at the complaints about EV incentives. There are substantial advantages that people aren't going to fully understand until they drive/ride in one, and if the rebates stir interest in that, then they're worthwhile.

I'm at about 8 months now and still impressed most days. I've had a host of minor issues, but for almost all of them Tesla has been very responsive. They honeymoon lives on...

I agree. I can't imagine going back to ICE. While I almost never drive the Volt now (it's my wife's car), when I do it's still fun compared to the Camry Hybrid or Acura MDX.

I think the "honeymoon" period is over. 20 months and 35,000 miles.
I'm still deeply in love, but the relationship has become one that is more comfortable and reciprocal. I don't find excuses to drive any more, but still drive the Tesla when I do need to drive, whenever practical. I occasionally let the kids brink frozen custard or soft drinks into her now. I wouldn't give her up for anything else right now, but the car is a practical tool...we still have our romps from time to time, but not every day like during the real honeymoon.

And I agree with Jerry33, my experience here is much like with the Prius. I continued to enjoy, learn and appreciate that car (and still do in many ways) throughout my ownership time. and I expect the S will be the same. But when something better comes along, my attention will stray...