Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do Maine Inspections work with the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jskenney

Happy Member
Mar 22, 2013
Maryland
Just curious, I was up in Maine last week and had to help the folks with their car (subaru) inspection, I was not expecting such a thorough processes. How does Maine check the S? I look forward to driving my S60 their someday after there are SC's in Portland/Bangor.

As far as I can tell, most of the thorough inspection in Maine is the inspection place doing extra "free" inspection work to try to find stuff even slightly wrong with your car. Not only will they claim it fails inspection (although they're not doing required checks), they obviously hope you'll get the car fixed in the same place. It took a while for me to find somewhere that just did the basic inspection. I have heard others have the same experience. I've never seen this in MA.

Also note that Cumberland county has slightly different inspection requirements and you must get your car tested in that county if the car is registered in that county. Only in Maine...

As far as I can tell, most of the thorough inspection in Maine is the inspection place doing extra "free" inspection work to try to find stuff even slightly wrong with your car. Not only will they claim it fails inspection (although they're not doing required checks), they obviously hope you'll get the car fixed in the same place. It took a while for me to find somewhere that just did the basic inspection. I have heard others have the same experience. I've never seen this in MA.

Also note that Cumberland county has slightly different inspection requirements and you must get your car tested in that county if the car is registered in that county. Only in Maine...

Just happened on this old thread...

Cumberland County must be inspected in Cumberland County because they have an emissions test that the rest of Maine doesn't have. Apparently, years ago, the state was all ready to have emissions testing, had inspection stations set up and then backed down because Maine's full of old beaters that'd fail, and people in Maine really depend on their cars due to the lack of public transportation.

Garages/dealers trying to screw you at inspection time is as common a problem as garages/dealers trying to screw you at other times. Trusted places are precious.