Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution: Digital Credit Union runs hard credit inquiry for simple checking account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cross post from over at TM forums:

So I'm getting ready for my delivery in Oct, and get a credit alert of a new hard inquiry. Strange.

Look it up - Digital Credit Union. I had requested a simple checking account with them so I could apply for an auto loan down the line. Called them up, and apparently they hide the hard inquiry authorization in one of their account disclosures documents. Interestingly, I have yet to actually see these disclosures, as I applied online and you either get them from a local branch or "These disclosures will be delivered to me once my membership has been opened." (quote from agreement page online)

After talking to a supervisor over there (and having him send over disclosures), he said they run hard inquiries to determine if they will give a debit card or not. To be honest, I've never had any bank or credit union run a hard inquiry for that reason, and I'm not sure if I believe him.

Granted, it's partially my own fault for not looking very hard into those disclosures, but still I'm not happy with it.

Just thought other new buyers should know. If you apply for Alliant, they don't do credit inquiry.

What happens when you open a checking account somewhere that you might want to apply for a car loan from later doesn't seem relevant to either the TM forum or this one. You may be upset about it but no need to spam car forums with it.

What happens when you open a checking account somewhere that you might want to apply for a car loan from later doesn't seem relevant to either the TM forum or this one. You may be upset about it but no need to spam car forums with it.

I disagree.

Tesla (including my owner-advisor) specifically listed this credit union (along with others) to try out for low rates. Others on these and TM forums have listed this credit union and Alliant.

I also put this in the "Ordering, production, delivery" sub-topic. Financing of the car definitely relates to these topics.

- - - Updated - - -

Moderator note: Moved from Model S forum to off-topic.

My apologies if I chose the wrong topic bonnie. I was having a hard time choosing between the two.