Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somewhat thoughtful article comparing Tesla Model S and BMW i3 and the two companies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Somewhat thoughtful article comparing Tesla Model S and BMW i3 and the two co...

BMW Vs. Tesla: A Real Live Innovator’s Dilemma | TechCrunch
BMW Vs. Tesla: A Real Live Innovator’s Dilemma | TechCrunch

I don't agree with everything on the article, but it makes some interesting points.It is less about comparing the S and the i3 (the the writer couldn't resist a chart making a direct comparison between the i3 and the Model 3, kind of pointless since the Model 3 doesn't exist and in three years BMW will surely have new "i" series models) and more about comparing the difference in marketing approach between Tesla and BMWs new "i" series. I think he is right to point out that BMW has some advantages over Tesla in that they can leverage their existing brand status and dealer sales network to push cars, but he fails to appreciate fully the efficiency and cost effective "no dealerships" model Tesla is using, and he over-hypes the i8 as something that should concern Tesla when it is actually of little consequence (effectively just a 2 seater with almost no trunk space, almost no EV range, and super expensive).

He describes the i3 as a, quote:" “good enough” luxury electric car for the urban driver and average commuter, who can also optionally use the car for longer trips without having to plan for supercharger stations."

The i3 is in no way a "luxury" car and even the range extended version is not adequate for long trips.

Last edited:
Thanks for the article and commentary. My only direct experiences with Beemers have been a 2-year company car, and a few rentals and friend's cars, but I believe they are a very strong company that makes excellent products. My best friend has a 740 that we took on a golf trip, and that is a great car. In fact, that's what hooked me on a car of that size (=> MS!). While their initial toe-dipping effort with i-series may be disappointing to BEV supporters, time will tell if that was the right strategy for them. I think some of the talk about them being unable to compete with Tesla at some point (perhaps after Tesla has damaged their 3-series franchise) is a bit of wishful thinking.

I don't know why people keep comparing the Tesla S to the BMW i3 in articles.

She didn't just compare it to the Model 3, she's directly comparing the i3 to a model S.

They're completely different market segments. An i3 is a city car for $40,000, a model S is a luxury sedan that costs twice as much.

I don't get how it makes any sense to compare them.7

She didn't just compare it to the Model 3, she's directly comparing the i3 to a model S.

They're completely different market segments. An i3 is a city car for $40,000, a model S is a luxury sedan that costs twice as much.

They are two different segments, but a comparison is interesting for at least three reasons:

A) they are, at this point, the two most advanced ground-up EVs on the market. Comparing how they solve technology , drivability and packaging concerns is relevant;

B) the difference in marketing (which leads to focusing on different segments) is a good case study; and

C) at least at this point, I bet there are quite a few people with two cars who are willing to consider replacing one--but not both--with an EV. In that sense, the i3 and the Model S *do* directly compete. You have to choose which ICE role you want to replace with an EV.

Speaking only for myself, I would definitely have considered an i3 if I didn't already own a Model S. In some ways, an i3 makes more sense as an EV, for all the reasons that every car company is promoting short range city cars as candidates for electrification.

The Model S changes the game and presents a left-field alternative: what if your giant family car that you take on trips was an EV? That was something I never would have considered before driving the Model S.

So, in that sense, comparing the i3 and the Model S is like comparing two paradigms. Which is better? I think you can guess my answer, though I have yet to try an i3.

So, in that sense, comparing the i3 and the Model S is like comparing two paradigms. Which is better? I think you can guess my answer, though I have yet to try an i3.

Owning both cars, I try to explain it as having two different sized screwdrivers in my tool kit. Each is better than the other when doing the job for which they were designed. The i3 is a fantastic EV for commuting with a single (or at most one additional) passenger. At speeds below 45 MPH it's extremely efficient (6 miles/kWh). Above that, and the poor aero design causes the efficiency (and thus range) to drop sharply. The Model S, on the other hand, is born to cruise the highway. Great for hauling lots of family members and other stuff long distances at high speed in comfort. I love 'em both. I don't try to haul lots of stuff in the i3, and I don't try to park downtown in the Model S. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

To many people, and virtually every journalist, all electric cars (even if they are hybrids) are the same and can be compared to each other.

I don't think anyone feels all EVs are the same in every way.
They can, in some ways all be compared as they do, to this point, compete directly for some people.

A few years ago when we had the only choices being the Roadster, Volt and Leaf, all three were in direct competition for those people, like me, who's highest priority was that the car be electric (or mostly electric for my driving habits).

I will not consider any car that does not have an electric drive. So for this consumer, the i3 competes directly with the MS, Leaf, MX, Miev, FocusEV, etc.

I try to explain it as having two different sized screwdrivers in my tool kit. Each is better than the other when doing the job for which they were designed.

That's a great analogy. I also have a Model S and an i3 (also had a Roadster till very recently) and love them all, just for different reasons. Because of the cost differential I do not think it is fair to compare both although I have to say the fit and finish of the i3 is excellent and BMW really has put some thought into the concept as a whole and the details as well. I find myself taking the i3 when I want to zip around on quick errands in a very nimble and fun to drive car. It certainly gets as many, if not more looks than the Model S :) But I love my Model S for the comfort and space when I cruise down the highway. Just like my 2 sons.... 2 different boys, each with their own charm!

Owning both cars, I try to explain it as having two different sized screwdrivers in my tool kit. Each is better than the other when doing the job for which they were designed. The i3 is a fantastic EV for commuting with a single (or at most one additional) passenger. At speeds below 45 MPH it's extremely efficient (6 miles/kWh). Above that, and the poor aero design causes the efficiency (and thus range) to drop sharply. The Model S, on the other hand, is born to cruise the highway. Great for hauling lots of family members and other stuff long distances at high speed in comfort. I love 'em both. I don't try to haul lots of stuff in the i3, and I don't try to park downtown in the Model S. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Agreed, however "The i3 is a fantastic EV for commuting with a single (or at most one additional) passenger" describes a "second car" and for most people, a second car is the former first car, unless the first car was totaled or there is a new driver in the family which requires a second car. Few purchase a second car new without a very good reason.

I think the reason journalists compare any car to the MS is because there really isn't anything else to compare the car to. There aren't a lot of pure electric cars, and there are no other sport/luxury electric cars, so you can't really compare it to anything. That's like trying to compare the Bugatti Veyron to something, no production car can go as fast or is as expensive so what are you going to compare it to. Until there is another pure electric car in its class, then the Model S can't really be compared to anything. The i8 is closer, but still isn't an electric car.

The media just needs to realize that other manufacturers can't make a car similar to the Model S for the same amount of money. If they are losing money on every Leaf or Volt (at least they use to, not sure about now), how would they come close to making any money with a bigger, faster car like the MS.

Agreed, however "The i3 is a fantastic EV for commuting with a single (or at most one additional) passenger" describes a "second car" and for most people, a second car is the former first car, unless the first car was totaled or there is a new driver in the family which requires a second car. Few purchase a second car new without a very good reason.
Any "100 mile" BEV is a "second car"...and the very good reason to buy one is that it's a BEV!