Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rationalizing buying supercharger access for couple of trips per year...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an S60 without supercharger access so it would cost me $2500 to activate it post purchase... Realistically we'd only use it once or twice a year to go to Chicago from St. Louis.

As much as I dearly love my car I've avoided taking it on road trips so far just because charging on the road with two young kids without the supercharger access would make the trip a lot longer...

I know this isn't their model, but right now I kind of wish there were a way to pay for a couple of supercharger visits without the unlimited access...

Pat

I have an S60 without supercharger access so it would cost me $2500 to activate it post purchase... Realistically we'd only use it once or twice a year to go to Chicago from St. Louis.

As much as I dearly love my car I've avoided taking it on road trips so far just because charging on the road with two young kids without the supercharger access would make the trip a lot longer...

I know this isn't their model, but right now I kind of wish there were a way to pay for a couple of supercharger visits without the unlimited access...

Pat

I too bought my S60 without supercharger access. A couple months later (October 10th to be specific) Tesla put the Supercharger access on sale for $2,000 (the same as if originally configured with the car). Since I originally wanted the supercharge access, but just couldn't quite afford it at the time. Actually, I just wanted to get as many options as possible with the car, since supercharging could be easily added later I differed it. Anyway, I jumped at the chance to get at the $2,000 level.

At that time there were very few superchargers. But it wasn't long before there were a bunch in my area. Having supercharger access is Super Awesome, no doubt about it. I highly recommend it, it makes it so much easier to go beyond your battery's range. So, for me worth every penny. I fully plan on getting a long term return on this purchase. I am shooting for 250,000+ miles in this car (about 30,000 miles per year). Considering I have used the superchargers a number of times, I have probably already saved over $500 on supercharges alone if I were using an ICE vehicle. I don't think it will be too long before it has paid for itself. It won't be too long before you will have access to superchargers going west, so they are showing up in your area.

If you are not in a hurry to buy it, you might wait until the September or October timeframe to see if Tesla ever does one of these sales again.

You will never use that much of electricity to actually come out even for the $2500 you will spend, but you are paying for the convenience. I have only used SC 3 times (and will use another 2 times today on a return trip), but especially with 2 young kids it makes for a nice break. We try to time to the stops with diaper changes, bottle feedings, and meals. Each time we have used it so far, we have never actually waited for the car, by the time we do what we need to do it has all the power needed until the next stop. It's pretty remarkable how quickly that thing can actually charge, and I think the most I have seen is about 75-80 kW at peak because of the battery levels when starting to charge. Another thing to think about is when the ChaDeMo adapter hits the market, you will require SC activation to use that. Depending on where you live, that could unlock a whole other region of travel.

2 trips a year at 600 miles each lets say for the next 7 years (7x1200miles/18mpg x $4 gas = $1800, assumptions on my part) so money wise its not that bad, I can't think of a better car to take on a road trip & as a father of 2 I want mine in the safest car possable & so far I haven't been able to ignore safety, many time my wife want to take the SUV to Dodger games etc...to avoid door dings & "nuckleheads" but I refuse to leave the safe car in the garage & take chances.

Soon you will have more Superchargers & will take more trips, its worth it IMO.

There is no reason not to use your Model S for all your travels if there are superchargers along the way. Superchargers really make the trip pleasant and easy. Waiting for sales and things are understandable, but unless you really only commute in your Model S, superchargers are part of the experience that makes this car so seamless and easy to own. You'll not only be able to take advantage of them for the trips you know about, but likely to use it for unexpected trips as well. I high recommend Supercharging.

One way to look at is: How many people pay $100+ to stay at a hotel/motel/B&B for one night instead of purchasing a $50 tent and pay $10-$20 at a campground?

It's far more pleasant to stay in a room rather than a tent just as it's far more pleasant to use a Supercharger for 20-40 minutes rather than an RV park for 2-6 hours.
It's not really about justifying the cost per night (or per charge), it's about having a more pleasant experience. (Yes, I know there are some trips where you use the tent because of the outdoor activities you plan--I wasn't referring to those.)

Once you drive the Model S on a long trip you'll never want to make that trip with an ICE again. You're not likely to save enough in gas to pay for activating supercharger access, what you're paying for is a much better experience.

You'd never drive to Kansas City? Never to Springfield/Branson? Ever think you might sell the car?
We should have much better Supercharger access in and around Missouri by next year and even if you, personally, only use it occasionally, I think the added value--or maybe more importantly the difficulty selling a car without SC access would be significant. I have a trip this week I will have to take my Prius for b/c there currently isn't Supercharger access to allow the round trip. I think you'll find your car more useful and versatile than just for biannual trips to Chi-town.

I will pay the $2500 without thinking when superchargers are available in Ontario/Quebec, Canada. You will get it back when you sell your car, and it's a convenience for sure. One of the main advantages of having a Tesla Model S is the supercharger network.

When I paid for the panoramic roof for example, I wasn't calculating how much it would cost me each time I open it, not to mention that I enjoy it only 50% of the year!

The supercharger map shows a mid-Missouri charger planned for 2014, which would make the KC trip possible... Then I'd have two destinations. However Chicago is a bit concerning for me even with the Normal, IL charger... It's about 180 miles... so in theory fine if I keep the speed down, summer driving, etc. but... would induce some range anxiety that would make the trip a little less fun. I'd map out alternatives on the way in case of course...

Everyone who has chimed in has made a good case... It's not really the cost vs. gas, etc. more about the experience. I guess we'd probably take more road trips if we enjoyed the car more too :) Will have to think about it more when the KC route opens up.

thanks,
Pat

You'd never drive to Kansas City? Never to Springfield/Branson? Ever think you might sell the car?
We should have much better Supercharger access in and around Missouri by next year and even if you, personally, only use it occasionally, I think the added value--or maybe more importantly the difficulty selling a car without SC access would be significant.
Supercharger access can be activated at any time after purchase for $2500, whether by the current owner or a future one, so I don't see how it affects selling the car at all. A used 60 without supercharger access activated is worth $2500 less because the buyer will have to pay that amount to Tesla to get supercharging, and the original owner saved the $2500. No net effect on car value or ability to sell it.

I feel that the wrong question is being asked...If you would ever get $2,500 worth of electricity out if the SC.

The relevant question is what you spend on gas in a ICE car, or even more, could you sell an ICE car that is currently only used for longer trips?

$2,500 for fueling an ICE car on long trips, you could make that up fairly fast unless you have a Prius or something.

Are you owing/insuring/maintaining an ICE car you could sell if you were SC enabled?

I would look at SuperCharger access the same way I looked at buying lifetime service on TiVo systems. It's a very similar situation since future owners of the TiVo/Tesla can pay for lifetime/Supercharger access at some point in the future.

On a TiVo, lifetime service costs $500 (or $400 if you're buying it for a second unit). When you sell the TiVo on eBay, the lifetime service is worth about $350. That means you're really choosing between paying $10/month or a one-time $50 - $150 fee, so a no brainer.

In the case of a Tesla, the $2,000/2,500 fee paid to add Supercharger access probably raises the vehicle's resale value by $1,500-$2,000, so the actual cost is less than $1,000 to add it.

Don't compare the cost of Supercharger access to electricity cost savings, because your alternative to not getting the Supercharger access is renting a gasoline car for your couple of long trips a year. The cost of car rentals plus gas will run past $2500 after just a few trips.

Totally worth it for what it unlocks. Get it!

You will never use that much of electricity to actually come out even for the $2500 you will spend, but you are paying for the convenience. I have only used SC 3 times (and will use another 2 times today on a return trip), but especially with 2 young kids it makes for a nice break. We try to time to the stops with diaper changes, bottle feedings, and meals. Each time we have used it so far, we have never actually waited for the car, by the time we do what we need to do it has all the power needed until the next stop. It's pretty remarkable how quickly that thing can actually charge, and I think the most I have seen is about 75-80 kW at peak because of the battery levels when starting to charge. Another thing to think about is when the ChaDeMo adapter hits the market, you will require SC activation to use that. Depending on where you live, that could unlock a whole other region of travel.
I beg to differ. At least for me. Maybe for him, though, he's going to Chicago. In Milwaukee, Gas today is 3.33/gallon. Friend in Chicago told me it's still around $4.20/gallon. That adds up VERY quick!.
Just one trip to Niagara Falls and back for me saved me around 600 in gas.