Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Custom Make A Bed In A Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My future plans include Tesla camping, and the most important part of camping is, of course, a good nights sleep inside a $100,000 car.

My height comes in at 6 feet 2 inches. I initially was concerned I wouldn't fit without doing some major modifications to the car to fill in the trench between the rear and front seats. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. My feet hang off the end, but after years of sleeping on matresses too small, it feels nostalgic. Surprisingly both my wife and I fit in the rear fairly comfortably.

In the future I may add a 2nd layer of the memory foam, though I'm pretty happy with how comfortable it is currently.

Things you will need:
1x Queen Lucid Linenspa 2 (Best reviewed memory foam topper on Amazon)
1x Queen Duro-Med Convoluted Bed Pad
1x SHARP pair of sheers, if you need a pair I recommend Fiskars
1x Sharpie to mark where to cut.

Lay the foam out in the car push it down tightly into the floor area and outline where to cut with the sharpie. Make your cuts wider than they need to be. The foam will sqeeze in and it makes it have a "fitted" look. Try to keep the extra foam pieces as large / long as possible. The left over pieces will be used to provide extra padding between the trunk and the 3" lip where the seats fold down.

TeslaBed-1-Foam-Layers.jpg

(Note the extra layer of blue foam, there's also an extra layer of memory foam there too but it can't been seen in the picture. The two extra foam layers make the height difference unnoticeable.)
TeslaBed-2-Egg-Crate-Foam.jpg

TeslaBed-3-Memory-Foam.jpg

TeslaBed-4-Sheets.jpg

TeslaBed-5-A-Bed.jpg

(Face blurred, don't need images of me on the internet)
TeslaBed-6-Asleep.jpg

TeslaBed-7-Asleep.jpg

Now I'm all set to go camping in a climate controlled tent with built in memory foam mattress.

(LMB spouse)

Or you can leave it in neutral and set the E-brake from the console.

Won't work. Can't have the car in neutral and charge at the same time. I just camped in my model S. Trust me, the only way so far is using the API; visible tesla, the tesla.js tools, or the phone app.

We purchased a Coleman SUV mattress from Amazon. It worked well. We did sleep with our heads towards the front of the car because of the slight elevation change. My wife and I are not that tall; I'm 5'7" and my wife is shorter. I could see sleeping the other way if you needed more space. Legs hanging off the end is better than your head.