Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NADA full page ad in back to LA Times today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too big to scan and I couldn't find a link so here is the full page ad in this morning's LA Times

10 REASONS TO BUY A CAR FROM A DEALER

1. Expert advice
Dealers can provide a wealth of expert advice to help you determine which vehicle best suits your need and budget.

2. One-stop shop
Typically, dealers have a variety of vehicles to choose from, new and used, at a wide range of prices. Most dealers also have experts on staff to assist with financing, vehicle protection plans and accessory options.

3. Code of ethics
Dealerships adhere to a strict code of ethics and many are members of organizations such as the National Automobile Dealers Association.

4. Greater convenience
Dealers offer a wide selection of vehicles,, financing options, fully-equipped service departments and expert advice - all in one place.

5. After-sales service
Nearly every dealership has a staff of certified car service professionals to help you maintain your vehicle and repair any damage that may occur. Plus, many dealers offer service discounts and specials to customers that have purchased their cars from them.

6. Vehicle trade-ins
Almost every dealer will take your trade-in vehicle, no matter what its current value is. Even if you still owe money on your car, the dealer can make the finance process pricee and simple - without an expensive "bridge" loan. And contrary to popular belief, dealers will pant top market value for vehicles in good condition.

7. Vehicle warranty
The majority of dealerships attach warranties on all cars less than 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles. Many dealers also offer extended warranties for up to five years.

8. Guaranteed title
When you purchase a vehicle from a licensed dealer, you're guaranteed the title to that vehicle. Any money the previous owner still owes on the vehicle is covered by the dealer -- not you.

9. Used vehicle inspections
Dealers subject used vehicles to strenuous inspections before selling them to the public to ensure the highest quality control for every car on their lot. The last thing a dealer wants is the reputation for selling "lemons".

10. Community involvement
Many dealerships have been active in their communities for years and have sponsored local businesses, hospitals, athletics and more.

DON'T LEAVE YOUR NEXT VEHICLE PURCHASE TO CHANCE.
VISIT YOUR LOCAL DEALER TODAY

(down in left hand corner it says "Produced by the Los Angeles Times Advertising Department) So maybe this isn't from NADA but rather the Times. After all, they must realize a great deal of their profit from dealer advertisement.

I just thought this ad was a good laugh.

For buying a used car, I actually agree that going to a dealer has some advantages over buying from a private party.

It's a risk reduction mechanism for which you pay a significant insurance premium. But how much protection you get depends on laws. Also, the line about being guaranteed a title depends on how strictly the dealer adheres to the law. In Maine, I can guarantee that there are dealers who don't really have the title yet as they try to turn the car over a little too quickly.

It's a risk reduction mechanism for which you pay a significant insurance premium. But how much protection you get depends on laws. Also, the line about being guaranteed a title depends on how strictly the dealer adheres to the law. In Maine, I can guarantee that there are dealers who don't really have the title yet as they try to turn the car over a little too quickly.

I guess I should clarify that I would only go to a reputable dealer.

Buying a use certified pre owned BMW from a real BMW dealer gives you a decent warranty, etc. Buying from Joe Blow Used Cars, not so much.

These days there is also CarFax so you can tell if it was in an accident. Not that long ago, it was a bit more of a gamble when buying a used car form a private party.

Family just bought a Volt (they are likely future Tesla Model X owners) from a dealer, and virtually none of the salespeople they met were familiar with the car. The staff even admitted it!

Imagine if that dealer were also selling Teslas -- they'd probably just put them in the back corner of the lot and then act like they don't have any.

I dislike the whole dealer experience but there are some valid arguments here. For example, what happens in several years as more and more used Teslas come up for sale? If I wanted to trade my MS in for a MX, I guess now I'm all on my own. I guess I could get more for my used Tesla this way but there's a cost and inconvenience associated. If you ever tried to sell a car on eBay or Craigslist you know what I'm talking about.

And what about inspection of used Teslas? I've read here that Tesla service centers will not do a 3rd party inspection. So, if I want to buy a used Tesla, I'm on my own when it comes to inspection and verification that all is up to snuff.

When the Model /// hits the streets and penetrates into the mass market - something will have to change.

Living in West Los Angeles I am constantly surprised by the growing number of Tesla owners. Interestingly Los Angeles has a large population of very wealthy, environmentally aware citizens. The LA Times might well be picking the wrong fight.

I dislike the whole dealer experience but there are some valid arguments here. For example, what happens in several years as more and more used Teslas come up for sale? If I wanted to trade my MS in for a MX, I guess now I'm all on my own. I guess I could get more for my used Tesla this way but there's a cost and inconvenience associated. If you ever tried to sell a car on eBay or Craigslist you know what I'm talking about.

And what about inspection of used Teslas? I've read here that Tesla service centers will not do a 3rd party inspection. So, if I want to buy a used Tesla, I'm on my own when it comes to inspection and verification that all is up to snuff.
Quite a few Roadsters were traded in for Model S. Tesla inspected and refurbished them and sold them with warranty under the Certified Pre-Owned program. So the same should be expected for Model S -> Model X.

When the Model /// hits the streets and penetrates into the mass market - something will have to change.
Elon has said that dealerships may be required when a sufficient volume is reached. Whether that is with Model III or later we will have to wait to see.

TESLA offers all those plus some, minus the middleman profits. As for code of ethics, with TESLA it is unquestionable, Tesla safety unbeatable, Tesla Service The Best, bar none, and with Dealers I am never too sure.

To sum it up, the Ad is good for couple of laughs and nothing more.

TESLA offers all those plus some, minus the middleman profits. As for code of ethics, with TESLA it is unquestionable, Tesla safety unbeatable, Tesla Service The Best, bar none, and with Dealers I am never too sure.

To sum it up, the Ad is good for couple of laughs and nothing more.

I don't think the ad was meant as franchised dealers vs non franchised. I think it is talking about dealers (any kind) vs private party sales. That's why they talk about inspections and title transfers.

Are you sure? I'd like to buy a Model 3, but I wouldn't buy at any price if they didn't do a 3rd party inspection at all. It's logically essential for direct sales.

Well, besides the inspection they need to deal with the gap between selling your old car and receiving your new Tesla. They could have a hook up with rental companies or offer their own rentals for people who pay for the Tesla up front and need a car while waiting for a new one. (Incidentally, I think that for Gen 5 Tesla could really disrupt the market if they pushed a mid-range+long-range rental model. I know other manufacturers offer something, but they're not at high volume yet.)

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. Although not directed AT Tesla, if not for Teslas business model that add would not be there!

They have the twin threats of private party Internet sales and Tesla's direct business model.

I think with the help of the Internet a secure transaction service for private sales could be created that would be pretty cheap and could eliminate a large chunk of the risks of fraud. Not that much you can do about cars sucking, other than having more inspection and document requirements for private sales.