Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs King size bed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
Needed to buy a new bed and it had to be king size. IKEA is only a few miles but the mattress is huge and can't be folded. For non US readrers, the size of a king mattress is aprox 197 cm x 206 cm

The boxes fit easily in the Model S but the mattress had to go on top.

king01.jpg
king02.jpg

I rolled down the windows to fit two straps through to tie the mattress down. Once I was done I realized that with the straps in place I couldn't open to doors any more. After contemplating and staring for a moment I remembered that the doors don't have a frame around the glass and I could just open to doors! LOL duh!!

Love this car! What I find very interesting about these photos is it shows how massive the car really is. The mattress doesn't look so large any more sitting on the car.

I always cringe when I see people do this... at least run a strap from under the bumper somewhere over the top, when you see people driving like this, the leading edge of the mattress is always about 3-4 feet above the roof of the car as the wind picks it up.

When I get a Tesla I'm going to miss the versatility of my current van, but I think I'll probably get a small utility trailer to help with cases like this.

If the cops saw me do that I'd loose my licence. Even if I was going only 25 mph.
In North America driving is a right, not a privilege, (ok, not officially, but it's often treated that way) it's very difficult to actually loose your license. We see people doing this with mattresses all the time, it's not safe, but it is common.

On a side note, I have a vehicle that can carry a mattress, but I opted for the free delivery service when I bought my last mattress. It didn't cost extra, and they took my old one away and gave it to charity (A woman's shelter I believe?), so I didn't have to deal with that either.

Something like this would have been easier to transport - I picked one up at the local Costco and it fit easily in the trunk.

Unboxing Keetsa Tea Leaf Supreme (Cal-king) - YouTube

Ah yes, we have a foam mattress and it came in a (heavy) box and gradually decompressed when we opened it up.

This year we had some remodeling done and moved our bedroom upstairs and had to get our (regular) king mattress upstairs. Unfortunately, the ceiling above the stairs isn't high enough to allow a king mattress up easily. (We'd previously failed miserably to get our sprung king mattress up there.) But after a great deal of effort with my wife pushing and me pulling we made it. I was glad the material on the outside of the mattress was strong because had it ripped we'd have had a problem.

Really, if you could drive the mattress home at 25mph, wouldn't a $50 U-Haul rental have been less trouble?

I always cringe when I see people do this... at least run a strap from under the bumper somewhere over the top, when you see people driving like this, the leading edge of the mattress is always about 3-4 feet above the roof of the car as the wind picks it up.

When I get a Tesla I'm going to miss the versatility of my current van, but I think I'll probably get a small utility trailer to help with cases like this.

I don't think there's the possibility to fit a towing bracket.