Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

invisik

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2014
Minneapolis
Hi,

Forgive me if this was discussed before, I searched a bit but could not locate anything on it.

Can a Telsa to J1772 adapter be built? It appears the J1772 to Tesla adapter is just connecting the wires to the proper terminals... could it go the other way? Not sure how the pilot signal and all that works between the two standards.

I imagine it might work on a HPWC, but not expecting it on a Supercharger. Might be a thing for the Leafer's, etc.

-m

If you have enough money, you could make it via injection molding. The contacts would be prefabricated in the mold, and inject the plastic to form the adapter. I imagine the mold tooling would be quite costly, for an adapter that you could sell for $100 maximum, and only be useful to a limited audience... Of course the HPWC at $1,200 is a good deal, and would then be the lowest cost 80A J-1772 EVSE availble. I don't imagine Clipper Creek would be too happy though.

Henry (aka hcsharp) has built a Model S HPWC -> Roadster adapter. Pictures here: Model S to Roadster adapter - Page 8 (note, this is opposite of the Roadster HPC -> Model S adapter that Tesla sells - Shop Tesla Gear Roadster High Power Wall Connector to Model S Adapter)

So, in theory, you could leverage off his design, using the same inlet, but change the output side to J1772.

But, I have to ask "Why bother?" (aside from the geeky, "because I can" factor). You wind up with an 80A max J1772 EVSE. Then what? There are only two production cars that can pull that much power - the Model S (dispense with the adapters) and the Roadster (get Henry's adapter, above).

For what it'll cost you for design and manufacturing, you could probably buy and install a $400 Clipper Creek to handle the visiting Leaf/Volt/etc.

If you really want a high current J1772 EVSE, it'd probably be easier to put a new plug on the HPWC (a la Jesla) or build an OpenEVSE.

Or install a Clipper Creek CS100 instead of a HPWC, and use the J1772 adapter with your Tesla.
HPWC ($1200) + CS20 ($400) = $1600 vs $2200 for a CS100. Unless the installation is really tricky, the installation of the CS20 shouldn't eat much of the savings.

A CS20 is more than enough for for anything with a 3.3kW charger.

If non-Tesla charging is a goal, then the relatively new ClipperCreek HCS-60 might be a great choice. At $899 and delivering 48A of current (60A breaker), its probably the best value. 20% faster than a NEMA 14-50 outlet and substantially cheaper than a HPWC.

HCS-60, 48A, 240V Charging, 25? Rubber Over-molded Cord | ClipperCreek | ClipperCreek Vehicle Charging Station

For another $100, you can get all the portability of your current 40 amp Tesla Mobile Connector (UMC) plus 100-250 volt compatibility, and the ability to plug into all the following outlets without overloading the circuit. I absolutely guarantee that no Clipper Creek product can do that. The simple fact is that there is NO commonly available plug that you can use any 48 amp or over charge cable on... it will be hard wired.

....................................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

An adapter would allow a J1772 EV to charge at an HPWC. This could be useful for hotels that install HPWCs, for example.

I don't know if this is what the OP is looking for, but that was how I interpreted his request.

GSP

I have two outlets in my garage & both do double-duty (meaning, everyone can charge) ...

• Clipper Creek 70 amp HPC (Roadster connection) + Model S adapter (thanks roblab!) == Roadster or Model S can charge at 70 amp
  • NEMA 14-50 240v/40amp outlet + Clipper Creek portable J1772 == anything that can plug into 14-50 or use J1772

My Roadster can use either outlet. And the X will be able to use either, also.

One reason an HPWC to J1772 adapter would be nice is that Tesla is giving HPWC's to certain destinations. If they could add a J1772 adapter for $100 or so, they are then able to charge any EV, at up to the max rate any EV can currently handle, for a $100 investment plus install. Pretty sweet.

One reason an HPWC to J1772 adapter would be nice is that Tesla is giving HPWC's to certain destinations. If they could add a J1772 adapter for $100 or so, they are then able to charge any EV, at up to the max rate any EV can currently handle, for a $100 investment plus install. Pretty sweet.

Tesla is including a J1772 connection, along with a Tesla HPC, when they give hardware to a destination for installation. It makes it easier for the hotel/restaurant/whatever to decide to install because it isn't perceived as excluding customers.

Those Leafs and Volts are taken care of already. Courtesy of your Tesla team :). No need to make sure there is an adapter handy.

Three devices supplied - two are Tesla HPCs, one is J1772. So if the two Tesla spots are occupied and if you have an adapter, you can still charge at the third spot. But it means that the installation recognizes there are other EVs on the road.

Is this new? I thought the Destination Charging program was just a discount on the second HPWC. The first install I've seen near Toronto has two HPWCs, no J1772 station. I'd rather see them put in two CS100s to support all EVs (and Roadsters!).

Is this new? I thought the Destination Charging program was just a discount on the second HPWC. The first install I've seen near Toronto has two HPWCs, no J1772 station. I'd rather see them put in two CS100s to support all EVs (and Roadsters!).

It might be new. I have no idea when this started. But since I'm working with a couple hotels on this right now, pretty sure of the facts. :). The reality is that very few EVs other than Teslas are on roadtrips - they just don't have the range. So it makes sense to me to have this mix. And the J1772 says that Roadsters aren't being ignored (because we all need to carry the adapter).

It might be new. I have no idea when this started. But since I'm working with a couple hotels on this right now, pretty sure of the facts. :). The reality is that very few EVs other than Teslas are on roadtrips - they just don't have the range. So it makes sense to me to have this mix. And the J1772 says that Roadsters aren't being ignored (because we all need to carry the adapter).

Do you know if this program is available for office businesses (i.e., non retail, restaurant or hotel)? Or, can you provide a contact info/e-mail so that I could get more information about this program?

Do you know if this program is available for office businesses (i.e., non retail, restaurant or hotel)? Or, can you provide a contact info/e-mail so that I could get more information about this program?
What you are asking about is referred to as "workplace charging", not "destination charging". Workplace charging is important for drivers with limited range EVs such as the Leaf if they have long commutes. It's not something Tesla needs to support given the range of Teslas. Destination charging is for travel destinations, locations for overnight stays or day trips, not intended for daily use by the same driver.