Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google.org ReChargeIT program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
According to reports, Google is now in the early stages of developing a process to write software that would integrate plug-ins to the grid while minimizing strain on the grid and assisting utilities in the management of vehicle charging.

Google Electric Cars

RechargeIT.org

Last summer Google.org launched the RechargeIT program, an initiative to accelerate the commercialization of plug-in vehicles. As part of this project, we created the GFleet, a free car-sharing program for Google employees. The GFleet includes a handful of hybrid vehicles converted to plug-ins with a Hymotion conversion module.

GFleet lives!

They have a large number of Leafs and Volts in the sprawling Google 'campus' now with J1772 all over the place.

(Most are ChargePoint, and unless you are with Google you get "restricted access only" when trying to unlock them.)

Leading the charge toward an electric vehicle fleet - Google Green Blog
...Overall, our goal is to electrify five percent of our parking spaces—all over campus and free of charge (pun intended) to Googlers. Our expanded charging system has already helped several Googlers decide to buy new EVs of their own, and we hope others will, too...

Someone told me that basically anyone (working for Google) can check them out by the hour similar to the way Zipcar works.

Yup - the GFleet helps those who take the shuttles (very nice buses with WiFi) to/from work and need to run errands during the day, that sort of thing. Charger spots are a little tight right now - the Leafs and Volts easily outstrip the chargers and they need to be plugging in most days. I used one of the ChargePoints once just to verify the adapter cable worked (yup). Rolf was nice enough to make sure there's a 14-50 near the charger spots in the building where I work.