Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous article comparing Model S and ELR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That writer is an idiot.

Quote: "The Tesla, on the other hand, is electric-only, meaning that when you run out of juice, you better be near a plug. And bring a book, because charge times can be several hours long to get you a decent measure of range."

He knows nothing about EVs, or the Model S, and has obviously never talked to a Tesla owner or bothered to do even some cursory research.

Every night my S is parked 3 feet from my plug except when it is on trips when it charges from 20% to 80% in 25 minutes.

Everyone here knows that, of course. I only post it on the small chance that someone directs the writer to this page.

Well, Cadillac has sold, what, like 50 or 60 of these cars. So _someone_ has to like it.

You can sell at least 50 or 60 just to regular caddy buyers. 50 to 60 is a dismal failure especially with the actual advertising that is being done. You might sell that many just because the car is good looking. The fact that huge discounts are being used to sell the few being sold is further indication that the car is a sales failure.

GM is also failing to sell many Volts and that car has a phenomenal customer satisfaction rating and is reasonably priced for what you get.

Dodgy Tesla Model S vs Cadillac ELR comparison

This article came up in my daily google search for Model S news:

http://www.frontiersla.com/frontier...2014-tesla-model-s-vs-cadillac-elr-electrolux

Some of the points made are probably reasonable up to the author's conclusion that you should get the caddy ELR. :confused:

He strongly recommends getting the caddy because it has this fantastic range extender that allows you to keep driving after 35kms of electron powered miles. With the Tesla you are apparently left frantically looking for a plug as it doesn't have such ground breaking technology.......:cursing:

I have left a polite comment (awaiting moderation) to point out a few important points about the Tesla range, superchargers etc.

This article came up in my daily google search for Model S news:

http://www.frontiersla.com/frontier...2014-tesla-model-s-vs-cadillac-elr-electrolux

Some of the points made are probably reasonable up to the author's conclusion that you should get the caddy ELR. :confused:

He strongly recommends getting the caddy because it has this fantastic range extender that allows you to keep driving after 35kms of electron powered miles. With the Tesla you are apparently left frantically looking for a plug as it doesn't have such ground breaking technology.......:cursing:

I have left a polite comment (awaiting moderation) to point out a few important points about the Tesla range, superchargers etc.

This review is a bad joke, for sure. I offered a critical comment. I doubt it will be published.

Well, Cadillac has sold, what, like 50 or 60 of these cars. So _someone_ has to like it.

Well, nothing to write home about, but it sold 390 through June.

If you were judging by interior alone, I would pick the ELR as well. Cadillac has really done a great job on its interiors lately, really on par or better than the best from Germany. But it simply doesn't have the power needed for. $76,000 car. If it were priced about 60k, they may have gotten away with the mediocre power, just because it is so fuel efficient. I saw the Motor Week review of this car, and after naming off all the features this car has over the Volt, it is definitely worth a significant premium over the Volt, but not $40k over. It shouldn't have to suffer comparisons with Tesla because it was never designed to be in Tesla's category. Cadillac was seduced by all the raves of the design and interior of the car, and became deluded about what it would fetch on the open market. If it was priced accordingly it wouldn't be compared to Tesla, and would have found its on niche.

On the other hand, I have seen red Tesla around here and it is drop dead gorgeous. I usually don't like red on a car, particularly a sedan, but it sure does look great on the Tesla.

You can sell at least 50 or 60 just to regular caddy buyers. 50 to 60 is a dismal failure especially with the actual advertising that is being done. You might sell that many just because the car is good looking. The fact that huge discounts are being used to sell the few being sold is further indication that the car is a sales failure.

GM is also failing to sell many Volts and that car has a phenomenal customer satisfaction rating and is reasonably priced for what you get.

The ELR is now a lot cheaper. There are large incentives. If they've sold some at the sucker price it may have been worth it financially, but the PR has been terrible.

The magazine is for the LGBT community. As mentioned in the article itself, not many of its readers have children or need to carpool with 6 other adults. For single or married without children, the author prefers the more luxurious interior of the ELR. Yeah, he's wrong to not have acknowledged superchargers, and he's wrong about acceleration and handling being the same, but it does show that different people look for different things in cars.

The ELR is now a lot cheaper. There are large incentives. If they've sold some at the sucker price it may have been worth it financially, but the PR has been terrible.

Indeed. One of the guys that works for me has a Volt that a few months from end of lease. The Caddy dealer offered $20k off the ELR, plus buy-out. That gets the effective cost down to a few thousand more than the list price of the Volt (which nobody pays), which then becomes a reasonable trade-up proposition for existing Volt owners that are getting close to their 3 years. In that context (Volt -> ELR for not much more) it becomes a better deal, and sets those people up nicely for the Model 3 when the ELR lease runs out :)

Basically he doesn't like 2 things about the Model S

*INTERIOR: "The Cadillac feels worth its lofty price, while the vacuous Tesla feels almost un-designed. half-baked. Tesla buries all of its controlsinto a huge, inelegant vertical monitor plunked into the middle of its flat dashboard. "

*RANGE ANXIETY:
"The Tesla, is electric-only, when you run out of juice, you better be near a plug. And bring a book, because charge times can be several hours long to get you a decent measure of range."

I think the cadillac is ugly, but his points are valid. The exterior of the Tesla is very nice, the interior is only above average (in respect with the price tag).

Range anxiety, well that's more a personal thing. Audi is going for hybrids instead of full EV, their decision is based on a lot of questionaires where they asked people how they felt about electric cars. I am fine with an EV, but I know some are not. You can tell them the car has X miles, they will still pick the hybrid, throwing gasoline in their car offers a sense of comfort.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it odd that there were no comments so I, too, left a respectful one, about acceleration and range. It's still not posted. Same with another commenter in this thread. Interesting.

none of the articles have comments even though you can comment on all, pretty silly I guess

Basically he doesn't like 2 things about the Model S

*INTERIOR: "The Cadillac feels worth its lofty price, while the vacuous Tesla feels almost un-designed. half-baked. Tesla buries all of its controlsinto a huge, inelegant vertical monitor plunked into the middle of its flat dashboard. "

*RANGE ANXIETY:
"The Tesla, is electric-only, when you run out of juice, you better be near a plug. And bring a book, because charge times can be several hours long to get you a decent measure of range."

I think the cadillac is ugly, but his points are valid. The exterior of the Tesla is very nice, the interior is only above average (in respect with the price tag).
Each to his/her own. I've always disagreed, but it's purely subjective. As another data point, I was over at the Rocklin center yesterday and a gentleman was in checking out the Model S for the first time. He opened the door and you could hear him intake his breath. Next comment was, 'Finally, not overdone. Quiet elegance. Like.' Which is of course what Elon was going for. Not everyone agrees. No one will ever agree on anything.

Range anxiety, well that's more a personal thing. Audi is going for hybrids instead of full EV, their decision is based on a lot of questionaires where they asked people how they felt about electric cars. I am fine with an EV, but I know some are not. You can tell them the car has X miles, they will still pick the hybrid, throwing gasoline in their car offers a sense of comfort.

This point I find not valid, at least not permanently valid. Let me explain. I used to think that vehicles like the Chevy Volt were useless and not really an EV. But what has happened is that those cars have become more like training wheels for people who are worried about how much range they need. Volt owners track how many weeks and months they go without using gas. They're proud of it. They are aware they do not need a great deal of range. And a surprisingly large number have stated that their next car will be pure electric. So while people pick a combination out of range anxiety, those cars serve a purpose ... it's just a step closer to 100% electric. Audi may be filling a need, but it's a one time need, imo. A stepping stone only. Tesla owners, on the other hand, stay with 100% electric. I predict that people that buy the Audi will next buy a Tesla or something else that is 100% electric. So good on Audi for providing that 'gateway drug' :) to electric. Some people aren't ready to make the full leap.