Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber B Pillar panel overlays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came back home from TMC Connect with preproduction betas of carbon fiber panels that overlay the B-Pillars. They are made of real carbon fiber with a protective flexible gloss overlay and a backing of 3M tape sheet to attach them to the B-Pillar. They were graciously provided by Matt and Roger Pressman of EVAnnex for me to test fit on my car. While Matt told me some final modifications are being made before production begins they were perfect as far as I am concerned.

Installation is quite easy but must be done with care. Matt warned me that the 3M backing tape sheet is so sticky that you get only one chance to position it correctly. If you make a mistake, you will find it impossible to reposition. Here are a few photos of the panels and the installation methods I used to be sure it was in the correct position when I attached it.

First a few shots of both sides of the panels.

DSC_5261.JPG

DSC_5262.JPG

DSC_5263.JPG

I prepared four long pieces of 3M blue painters tape to hold the panel in place while I attached it.

DSC_5267.JPG

I held the panel precisely in place then wrapped the tape around the B-Pillar to secure it.

DSC_5268.JPG

The white strip at the top of the panel is provided to make it easy to peel off the protective backing on the 3M sheet tape. With the panel in place I pulled the top third of red backing down with the white strip and pressed the upper section in place so the it was glued in place.

DSC_5270.JPG

This photo show the peeled backing squeezed under the panel.

DSC_5272.jpg

With the panel held securely in place by the upper third, I then removed the painters tape.

DSC_5273.jpg

Lifting the panel from the bottom makes it possible to then peel away the rest of the red backing.

DSC_5275.JPG

With the backing removed the rest of the piece lays nicely in place. Pressing the panel all over the surface secures it.

DSC_5278.JPG

For me this is a very nice complement to my carbon fiber spoiler, front and rear diffusers, nose cone, and side strakes.

DSC_5279.JPG

Last edited:
Yikes, they used 3M's Extreme (red) mounting tape. They weren't kidding, that's serious stuff. I have two 1" squares holding an entire license plate assembly on my other vehicle so I didn't have to drill the bumper. A 2" by 1" portion of the roll holds 20 pounds. :scared:

Yikes, they used 3M's Extreme (red) mounting tape. They weren't kidding, that's serious stuff. I have two 1" squares holding an entire license plate assembly on my other vehicle so I didn't have to drill the bumper. A 2" by 1" portion of the roll holds 20 pounds. :scared:

That's what I used to affix my license plate to the nose cone of my Model S. Three small squares and it's held rock solid for over a year and a half.

Could it possibly cause any wind noise since they do stick out a tad and are so close to the occupants ears?

I discussed this with Matt Pressman and the answer is no. I would not have installed them otherwise. They lie very flush to the B-Pillar and there's little to interrupt the air flow. But I'll go on the road today and confirm.

- - - Updated - - -

The whole back is covered in it, so I'd say not very easily.

It's not as hard as you'd expect, though. You'd heat it, cut it off with floss or fishing line, and then work off the adhesive, but I'm sure it'd be a several hour job.

Agree. It would be a few hours of tedious work but it can be done.

I discussed this with Matt Pressman and the answer is no. I would not have installed them otherwise. They lie very flush to the B-Pillar and there's little to interrupt the air flow. But I'll go on the road today and confirm.

Thanks. Do they look factory once installed or does it look like those dash wood appliqué kits that you can tell are aftermarket if you look at them?

So how easily is this modification reversed?

We've been prototyping the B-pillar (and similar CF pieces for other parts of the Model S) for a while, so I might have more insight into removal than most.

First to installation: Artsci installed the CF B-pillar correctly -- that is incrementally. Pull some of the red backing off, but not all, position to an edge, being absolutely sure about alignment, then affix the edge only, again checking alignment of the edge and adjacent perpendicular edges. Work slowly to affix the material in steps while pulling the red backing off. Use a soft clean cloth the press the part into place. You can use a spray bottle with distilled water, spraying it on the adhesive surface to reduce stickiness a bit until it evaporates, but it isn't necessary.

Now, for removal: These CF pieces are designed for permanent adhesion, so they're not easy to remove (that's the whole idea). But it can be done. Starting at a corner, use a plastic putty knife or professional auto panel removal tool (i.e., a sharp plastic edge) and pry up the corner. You can heat the CF surface with a hair drier -- not a heat gun -- and this will help. Then, working methodically, use the sharp plastic edge and work inward, pulling the material up as you go. DO NOT use a metal edge!

Important to note a few things:

(1) some of the adhesive will be left on the B-Pillar (or other) surface. This can be removed by rolling it up with the sharp plastic edge or even your fingernail; the original surface can then be cleaned with acetone to remove any final adhesive smudges.

(2) it's unlikely that you'll damage the smooth plastic beneath the CF piece, but it can happen if you scratch the surface while removing the adhesive. Be careful! Also, if you adhere the pieces to a porous or soft surface, damage will occur during removal (that's more relevant for some things that we'll be offering for the interior).

(3) a CF piece that is removed will likely be stretched or damaged to some extent, so you should only remove it if you no longer want the look.

This CF piece is part of three packages (to be offered soon) that affix to plastic surfaces, more flexible lower surfaces, and chromed surfaces. We've affixed and removed all with good results, but care must be taken.

Hope this helps,
Roger P.
EVannex

This CF piece is part of three packages (to be offered soon) that affix to plastic surfaces, more flexible lower surfaces, and chromed surfaces. We've affixed and removed all with good results, but care must be taken.

Thanks for the info. But I believe the B-pillar area where artsi installed this is actually glass. Which should mean it's more durable, but, of course, not impossible to scratch.

Looks amazing in those pictures, any chance of some pictures more in line with the car? (I'm curious to see how much it sticks out compared to a car without the applique?

It's very close to flush with the front and rear door window glass. I'll take and post some photos demonstrating that. I just drove at high speed on a nearby Interstate. It produces no additional wind noise as best as I could tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info. But I believe the B-pillar area where artsi installed this is actually glass. Which should mean it's more durable, but, of course, not impossible to scratch.

Yes the B Pillar is covered with black glass.