Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lithium-ion batteries and recycling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to hear from someone who is knowledgable about what is currently being done when the batteries in electric vehicles are no longer usable. Are they being recycled and do they pose a contamination problem down the road. The reason I'm asking is that when I talk about my car and electric vehicles in general sometimes the topic of the batteries and what is done with them comes up. I know that there are companies who can recycle the LI batteries but wonder what is specifically being done with them today. Any info would be appreciated.

This has been espoused upon at great length already; use the search tool upper right corner.

For the record, Li-Ion batteries are nontoxic, and contain valuable materials for recycling. Tesla is planning to build a recycling facility into the Gigafactory.

Umicore recycles Roadster batteries.

Automotive lithium ion hasn't been used long enough for any speciak recycling, but you can bet that at volume they'll definitely be recycled, just as Toyota recycles Prius batteries and just as Honda eventually were able to recycle their stockpile of dead IMA batteries.

This has been espoused upon at great length already; use the search tool upper right corner.

For the record, Li-Ion batteries are nontoxic, and contain valuable materials for recycling. Tesla is planning to build a recycling facility into the Gigafactory.

And that's once they end their life after being used by Solar City.

Yes Doug I did that but was hoping to find more current articles on the latest technology on recycling, I have only found articles from 2009 to 2011.