Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Economic cost of "put option"/resale guarantee lending option versus Digital Credit U

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure this was discussed way back when, but I thought I would re-post in case folks are considering the resale guarantee. My assumptions are as follows:

• Tech Credit Union (since available in almost all states) vs Digital Credit Union (well publicized low rate)
  • $110,000 purchase price (not including sales tax since Tech CU will not finance that)
  • 15% down payment
  • 66 month loan term
  • 2.99% TCU
  • 0.99% DCU

I found it interesting that the interest cost difference was over $4,200 at the 36 month mark. That is fairly expensive insurance. Basically, assuming you are going to finance the car anyway, you are paying a >4% premium to be able to walk away from it at a specified value in three years. I am not offering an opinion as to whether it is worth it or not, but just wanted to share the observation.

I will note that for those that plan to finance at 72 months or 84 months, the difference is much lower since DCU's rate increases dramatically ($3,822 and $1,734 respectively). Thus, it is much cheaper insurance if you plan to finance over a longer term, but get rid of the car in 3 years.