Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One week storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the beginning it was said that the roadster should be stored in the storage mode. Then it was said, no storage mode, but plugged in.
Now I have the impression as it is best to keep the battery not fully loaded.
So, when I go for a trip of one week. how would you suggest should I leave the roadster?
- Plugged in in storage mode?
- Not pluged in but full, or not full?
- Plugged in in normal mode?

In the beginning it was said that the roadster should be stored in the storage mode. Then it was said, no storage mode, but plugged in.
Now I have the impression as it is best to keep the battery not fully loaded.
So, when I go for a trip of one week. how would you suggest should I leave the roadster?
- Plugged in in storage mode?
- Not pluged in but full, or not full?
- Plugged in in normal mode?

If it can be plugged in, it should be. The only time you have to worry is if you can't plug it in.

We've gone away on three week trips. The car was "normal mode" charged when we left, and we switched to storage mode, but when we got back, it had only lost a few miles of rated range and hadn't even gone down to the 50% level, so I wouldn't hesitate to leave it unplugged for 3-4 weeks if necessary. But a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla :smile:.

If it can be plugged in, it should be. The only time you have to worry is if you can't plug it in.

We've gone away on three week trips. The car was "normal mode" charged when we left, and we switched to storage mode, but when we got back, it had only lost a few miles of rated range and hadn't even gone down to the 50% level, so I wouldn't hesitate to leave it unplugged for 3-4 weeks if necessary. But a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla :smile:.

For just one week plugged in standard mode. If much longer than that consider storage mode but then might need to charge for hours when you get back.

Storage mode will maintain the battery at a lower charge state than standard mode. Regardless, the car should be plugged in. I put mine in storage mode when I was gone for three weeks, but I don't know that I'd worry about it for one week.

Of course it should read one week storage.

NO, my car is a daily driver, But I will leave it for one week at home.
I thought there were reports that for the battery it is better if the car is not fully charged. People even stop charging before it reaches 100%. That is why I thought may be a Tesla can be happier unplugged?

I fixed the title.

If you're just going for one week, leave it plugged in Standard mode.

Battery degradation is slightly higher if at high state-of-charge and high temperature. However, one week at 90% is trivial, and all leaving it unplugged or in storage mode for a week would do is degrade the pack balance a little. (My Roadster was unplugged for four days recently, and "lost" 6 km of range as a result.)

I believe the caution about always plugging in the car is stated just to avoid having cars left unplugged in storage for months where the battery can be depleted and damaged. The Storage mode keeps the level around 50% because that has been established as the best way to minimize deterioration when the battery is not being used. My car is my daily driver for those days when I drive, but I only plug it in to charge when the level gets down between 50-60% or when I know I need more the next day. Leaving the car unplugged for a week when starting from 80% or whatever would not concern me. YMMV.

Storage mode maintains the SOC at about 20%. It takes about three months of vampire drain for the pack to drop that low if starting from a Standard charge. I wouldn't worry about Storage mode for one week - it'll make zero difference.

Definitely plug in though. I always keep the car plugged in when I'm away on a trip, just in case I get stuck somewhere and can't make it home in a few months. :smile:

When I go away I connect the (supplied) 120 volt cable to the Roadster because this is direct, not thru a charger thus more reliable. Besides, the MS is on the charger. No need to rush home with this scheme.
--

Not sure where you got that information but connecting from 110V or 220V is no differetn to the car. They both to through the charging circuitry as the battery is 400V DC and cannot be directly connected to 110V AC. If you were to do that sparks will fly.

Not sure where you got that information but connecting from 110V or 220V is no differetn to the car. They both to through the charging circuitry as the battery is 400V DC and cannot be directly connected to 110V AC. If you were to do that sparks will fly.

I think he means the 240V connection uses an EVSE (the UMC), but the 120V spare adapter is straight-through.

Why let the Roadster sleep at 84% SOC for longer than a few days to keep topping off with like whip cream on a hot fudge sunday that's just sitting and not being used?

I just took a 2 week trip up in Alaska, and I must say its beautiful. I left my Roadster at 140 std. mode ideal miles when I left, when I returned it was at 119 ideal miles. I let it sit in Storage Mode. Storage mode wakes once a day to tally the SOC and if it needs a charge it'll give it. I believe 20% SOC is the cutoff, Doug's the best on that one. Reason I leave it storage mode is that I don't want it at a higher SOC than what it needs to be just sitting. I target 50-60% which is where the pack wants to be idle. I live in Santa Cruz where luckily the ambient outdoor temp is 75 degrees F being close to the ocean. A temp the pack likes. I leave it in storage mode just in case something odd happens with a vampire drain rather than being unplugged. I could have left it unplugged but I feel better with the Roadster waking up daily to check itself if it gets low on electrons.

I would not suggest keeping it on std. mode charge and don't know where that came from. Storage mode is just that, storage, no matter what the duration.