Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you name your Tesla? Elon Musk on The Colbert Report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk on The Colbert Report last night and mentioned an update regarding our beloved Tesla's. Everyone knows the Model S has opened up the future of automotive engineering and with the latest software you will be able to name your Tesla sooo that had me thinking about what I would name mine.

Elon named his "Old Faithful" What would you name yours?

Check out the interview here and the software comment at Part 1; 1:20

http://gizmodo.com/heres-colberts-complete-elon-musk-interview-from-last-n-1610792543

I'd call mine Mercedes, if that was the way to get Waze as the new navigation system.
Or Porsche for that matter.

BTW my Mercedes' bluetooth name is ' Volkswagen', just to mess with eavesdroppers...

I am kinda confused about this feature. I cannot see what the big deal is, why this is worth mentioning, or why it is even considered as a feature in the new firmware. Am I missing something?

Most of my electronic devices have had the capability to be named - computer, phone, tablet, iPod, etc. etc. - for several years. I never felt like they were my pets because of that capability.

I am kinda confused about this feature. I cannot see what the big deal is, why this is worth mentioning, or why it is even considered as a feature in the new firmware. Am I missing something?

Most of my electronic devices have had the capability to be named - computer, phone, tablet, iPod, etc. etc. - for several years. I never felt like they were my pets because of that capability.

Ditto. But this nothing more than a very human tendency called anthropomorphism.

iffatall and caddieo: You both are exactly right! What we're missing is "what is Tesla going to do with the name (and other things) to help personalize the vehicle??? That's something Elon mentioned a couple of months ago was that v6 was going to add a lot in terms of personalization. Great, so what does THAT mean? I've been trying to think about what they might do and I only come up with a couple of small ideas. Looking forward to it anyway!!

iffatall and caddieo: You both are exactly right! What we're missing is "what is Tesla going to do with the name (and other things) to help personalize the vehicle??? That's something Elon mentioned a couple of months ago was that v6 was going to add a lot in terms of personalization. Great, so what does THAT mean? I've been trying to think about what they might do and I only come up with a couple of small ideas. Looking forward to it anyway!!

Appreciate your concurrence. In terms of personalization- they already have the VIN. How much more personal can you get? And suppose in the future when Tesla cars number over 100K, the law of large numbers and randomity will probably result in a couple of owners using the same name. Then what? :confused:

Perhaps you'll be able to activate voice control just by calling the car's name a la "Old Faithful, open roof to 50%."....

I thought of this when he first mentioned this "feature". But then when I thought more about it, I figured it would take more effort to say "Old Faithful, open roof to 50%" than to just press the button on the steering wheel to activate voice commands and just say "Open roof to 50%". Given a choice, I would always end up doing the latter.

"OK Google, do I need an umbrella today?" is potentially easier because you may not have your phone in your hand at the time. The only time when "Old Faithful, open roof to 50%" will be easier is when you are driving and do not have your hand on the steering wheel.

Naming the cars adds to the usefulness of community navigation
You see the other Tesla cars on the map and identify them with their (nick)names.
(Of course Waze already has this feature, plus the possibility to join groups of users.)

I agree with those that think naming a car is kind of silly. However, when I get my wife her Tesla, I'd use names to distinguish - probably mine would be "Phil's car".

+1000 to those that said Don't waste a second on this feature when you could be adding things like Waze or, even better, Google Nav with dynamic routing.

It is unfortunate the Elon came up with the "you can name your car" feature when Colbert asked him what was coming up with the Model S. Of course he was just being playful, and obviously the next major firmware release will include many new and truly useful features.

I don't think Elon was just being playful. It appeared as though he was really excited about that feature. You can tell from the way he explains it. Also, if I am not wrong, he has mentioned is elsewhere too.

May be there is some super cool aspect of this feature that we have not fathomed yet.

I don't think Elon was just being playful. It appeared as though he was really excited about that feature. You can tell from the way he explains it. Also, if I am not wrong, he has mentioned is elsewhere too.

May be there is some super cool aspect of this feature that we have not fathomed yet.

*clicks steering wheel* "Old Faithful, set a course for Rocket Road, warp 2. Engage."

MX seating in Extant ep. 1 gives me a glimmer of hope :)