Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music shuffle, folders and Recently played

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so we all are aware that USB music has it’s rarities.

Among other things, *no shuffle*. Dreadful in this day and age, isn’t it? (btw, what’s keeping version 6.0?).
Metadata is supported when browsing by Artist, Album and Genre, but NOT when using the Folders functionality.

When playing via Folders, the Now Playing UI only shows you the song name. Nothing else, and no album art.
Great for music quizes, but one needs Shazam to actually verify if one is correct (alternative is a lot of browsing throughout the Artist/Album lists).

Then the other day I ran into a “workaround”. Not sure if this was already mentioned here before (could not find it anyway), but the Recently Played screen shows the Album Art, Artist and Song just played.

For me this is a welcome alternative when using folders to play music.
Not sure when the list is actually updated, often it is halfway the played song, at other times it is between the 30 seconds en 3 minutes marker.
But anyway, good enough for me!

So, why do I use Folders? To “shuffle” my music.
How? The music files in Folders are sorted by file name. If you can play with the file name, you can play with the play order…
Using a file rename utility which support “renaming” files in a folder based on the metadata if it is a music file.

So I can rename for instance based on the track number, and then my “shuffle” at that moment is all first tracks of the different albums in the directory, then the second, …

I could also rename based on only the track name, album name, year, total number of album tracks, bit rate, sample rate or even BMP…

The pro version of this utility also support “logical conditions”, have not played with it, but I suppose you even have more possibilities in generating file names.

I know, it is a workaround but it fills my needs.

The “Recently Played” remains great for music quizes on the road ;-) Your guessing time runs as long as the UI refresh…

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 535
Honestly trying to play music via USB in any order is a lot of work and not worth the effort. Better off using shuffle on your phone and playing via bluetooth until they eventually fix it. Mind boggling how they haven't added a shuffle option in 18 months.

I always use the USB. I tried BT, but it wasn't worth the hassle of futzing with the connection each time you get in the car. Also USB is lossless (audio is always GIGO). I've found that just playing the songs in order using the "favorites" selection is random enough, even though I'd real like a random setting and a star rating system so that some songs would be played more than others.

I just want to add that that lack of playlist support kills me too. I want...correction: need to have shuffle and playlist support.

The lack of playlist support, for me, renders the USB unusable since I have such a large collection of music that I would like to have a way to organize in the car. A playlist implementation is simple and I really hope it comes with 6.0.