Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first Autocross

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran my new 2010 Roadster S yesterday in my first ever autocross. I know, no pics it didn't happen. I will post video when I edit the footage.

Although I didn't do very well (66 seconds) as I kept getting lost in the cones, My son (Blair) who races regularly also raced the Tesla and did 58 seconds. The fast time for the track was 51 seconds by a special built 800 lb race car (big go kart, huge wings) with a turbo'ed snowmobile engine. The fast Cobra replicars and Vettes were doing 52 seconds.

I had two other problems besides getting lost. The brakes need work. The brakes started getting better as they started braking in but still not up to the task. I will be looking for some better pads. The second problem was the car died twice. Both times it happened I just lost power. No regenerative braking, just coasting to a stop. Both times I toggled the key off and on a couple of times and got it running again. Both times it quit when I snapped the throttle to full very quickly. Traction control was off. The car didn't quit on my son Blair. I suspect he is smoother on the throttle and fed the power on more gradually. In my last run I concentrated on feeding the power less abruptly and had no troubles.

Anyone, ideas on the power failure's? Any suggestions on brake pads?

No doubt that the brakes are the weakest component of the car. I was very disappointed that the Sport package didn't upgrade the brakes. I'm interested in upgrading as well, and will let you know if I get any info.

My son Blair (correction, I am driving) is driving in the above photos. I am passenger at this time. We switched off with 2 different numbers.

The car was the attention getter at the race. Everyone was amazed at the speed and the quiet.

I have a set of Hawk HT pads coming in from Sector 111. I will let you know how they work.

I believe I made a mistake by fully charging in performance mode then trailoring to the race. I lost regenerative braking until there was room in the battery to allow regeneration and hence braking force.

Roger

Last edited: