Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone perform a J-Turn in a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your first example is a "reverse flick" and not a "J turn" The second example you posted has a "doughnut" in the middle and then a "J turn" near the end. The doughnut and J turn are both most easily accomplished with the handbrake, though you can do them by any method that get's the back end to lose traction and spin out.
The Model S doesn't have a handbrake, it has a parking brake, you wouldn't have the control to do it safely or properly with the parking brake in the Model S.
The "reverse flick" can be accomplished in any vehicle, while driving backwards at a reasonable speed (30-40km/hr) turn the wheel a quarter turn one way, just enough to feel the car start to unbalance that direction, and then quickly a half turn the other way, you'll find yourself quickly facing the other direction. I'd recommend doing it in a very large, and very open parking lot the first time you try it!

Last edited:
Your first example is a "reverse flick" and not a "J turn"

A J turn is a reverse flick (reversing 180). The first example, with the Leaf, is most definitely a J turn.

The example with the Roadster near the end is a modified bootleg turn (forward 180)

Back to the OP's question - I've done a bootleg turn in my Model S with the traction control disabled on a wet figure 8 skidpad. I was a bit surprised as I hadn't pulled the fuse so stability control, which is different than traction control and can't be disabled from the center console, was still enabled and I would have thought it would have intervened. It was fun.

The only video I've seen close to what you're asking for is this one (with that fuse pulled)

Last edited by a moderator: