Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected Frunk consequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just returned from a two week road trip to the Pacific Northwest. We do a lot if hiking and find it very convenient to keep hiking gear and boots in the frunk. It is a great seat while putting on boots. It started at Crater Lake when several people asked us if we were OK or needed help. We politely answered that we were fine wondering if our advancing years were making us appear helpless (we are not). Next a park ranger at the Hoh Valley Trailhead pulled up and asked us if we the people needing a jump. We said we were not and then noticed an ICE across the parking lot with the hood up. An ah ha moment as we realized that the hood up is a distress signal. Being creatures of habit we persisted in our practice and had no less than another half dozen offers for help from rangers and visitors. We converted these kind offers into opportunities to educate on the wonders of the Model S.

If you are interested our trip started in Grass Valley, up I-5, KOA in Klamath Falls, Camped at Crater Lake toured andk hiked and made it to Grants Pass on a single charge, Up the Columbia Gorge to the Dalles (12 amps overnight) then North to Olympic National Park, great 70 amp charging available in Port Angeles. Ferry to Victoria then to Nanaimo ferry to Tsawwassen, side trip to Siver Falls State Park OR on to Detroit Lake SC (why) then home. PM me if you would like details.

Side Note on Ferries. You have to be there an hour ahead of time and wait packed in in the staging area. Everyone is waiting and the Model S attract a lot of attention with emboldened drivers asking lots of questions.

Last note. If you plop down on the frunk with extra force, it is a great alternate method for removing the nose cone.

Sounds like a great trip! You hit a lot of the good stuff. You probably hit it at a good time for weather too (it was wet as heck today; my wife is camping on the coast and really honked off at me for selling our old camper van last year).

Several years ago, shortly after buying a Toyota RAV4-EV, I took it to a street fair in Seattle. The street was blocked off, and there were booths on both sides. The organizer told me to just park my car on the street somewhere in the middle. It had great big "EV" stickers on the side, so I thought people would stop to ask me about the car.

Uh, no. Everybody walked straight by. (Of course, back then nobody up here knew that EVs existed. Later, when I got the Roadster, people would stop to talk about the car just because of its looks...and then I had to spend most of my time convincing them that it really didn't take gas; no, really, no gas at all; yes, it can go on the highway, and up a mountain too. Man, talking to people about EVs sure is easier now). So I put up the hood so they could see that the car was different. Within 5 minutes, I had two offers for a jump-start...

I learned to take signs to events after that.

As for the hood up, I had someone comment to me a couple years ago when I drove a Boxster. I used to keep my daughter's booster seat in the frunk and had it open once at daycare when someone asked if I needed help...

You probably hit it at a good time for weather too (it was wet as heck today; my wife is camping on the coast and really honked off at me for selling our old camper van last year).
here in the middle. It had great big "EV" sticke

Yes -- Very wet today. We drove from Olympia up to Taawwassen and then over to Saltspring Island. I was a bit worried about range -- being from AZ, I haven't driven much in rain. Car did very well -- averaged just about 310 Wh/mile, only a hit more than expected without rain..,