Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ECO vs normal mode for AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

invisik

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2014
Minneapolis
Hi,

Ok kind of a dumb question, but thought I'd throw it out there. I'm going to be taking a road trip end of this month and wondering what my best setting for AC will be for best range.

I've been experimenting with ECO vs normal mode for air conditioning usage (aka Range Mode versus standard in the settings screen). I find I have to crank the temp down a few additional degrees when using ECO mode to get the same result in the cabin (68 on ECO feels like 70 on Normal). Do you think that's saving me any energy versus using normal mode set a few degrees warmer?

Thanks...

-m

I don't know Tesla's AC protocols but a higher target temperature and slower fan speed would seem to optimize efficiency. I don't think it will make more than one or two miles of charge difference. Why suffer with heat? Drive slower and cooler.

ECO mode helps in winter, I haven't found that it helps in summer.

I've actually noticed the opposite in milder NorCal. Makes a very noticeable difference in the Wh/mile when the car's really hot and the compressor's going crazy.

I find the noise, both inside and out, in the regular mode annoying while range mode makes everything pipe down a fair bit; Tesla hasn't installed the acoustic blanket yet in my car.

Eco takes a little longer to cool the car down but, it's quite effective in keeping it cool after.

I used Eco mode a few times when I needed the max range I could get in 100 degree weather. What I found is that it seems to cool the car down OK but not as good as in normal mode. I have no experience what it does in cold weather, but in hot weather it reduces AC power when you go uphill or accelerate and increases AC power again when you drive normal and it might give it a little extra when regen is used.

Turning up the fan speed to get air flowing in your face and setting the temperature a little higher than you would should help save a little power. But honestly, I'd rahter stop and charge a few extra miles than drive with the temperature high and being uncomfortable.

I've actually noticed the opposite in milder NorCal. Makes a very noticeable difference in the Wh/mile when the car's really hot and the compressor's going crazy.

I find the noise, both inside and out, in the regular mode annoying while range mode makes everything pipe down a fair bit; Tesla hasn't installed the acoustic blanket yet in my car.

Eco takes a little longer to cool the car down but, it's quite effective in keeping it cool after.

Acoustic Blanket? Is that an aftermarket thing they're doing for you or is that a new option I wasn't aware of?

I suspect that's because our cooling methods are different. I've seldom heard the compressor going crazy--even at over 40. What I do is:

1. Set to Auto.

2. When the car is hot, I set the temperature higher than my actual target temperature, so that it cools the hottest air.

3. As the car cools down, I lower the temperature setting.

When I've tried this with ECO, it doesn't save any energy (that I can tell) and it requires more work to get it right, so I don't bother with it. In winter it's a different story. ECO makes a significant difference on my commute.

Did about 288 miles in 2 trips Firmware is v5.9 on highway at speed from 75-84mph Standard mode AC, not range. Ill do the Range mode today.
In what I have seen (not looking at the info below) I have seen 10 mile loss in range and I have also seen 1 mile loss after driving. I have also driven what felt like an eternity on 1 Mile Rated Range to a supercharger.
Range is very much dependent on how you drive. You might be better to change driving style and save (more) energy that way.

Trip one: "down hill"
Rated Range Start: 177 Miles Rated Range End: 19 Miles Miles Traveled (from Dash) 143.1 Miles
Outside temp 82F this obviously fluctuates but its whats in the pics i took
Temp setting: 72F
Fan speed: 3

Trip Two: "up hill"
Rated Range Start: 190 Miles Rated Range End: 28 Miles Miles Traveled (from dash): 143.9
Outside Temp: 78F this obviously fluctuates but its whats in the pics i took
Temp Setting 73F
Fan Speed: 1

Are you sure that's true for us post-sigs? Thru-out tmc, it seems sig owners are frequently mentioning these types of updates. I am in FL, and now that it is in 90s, the air cond compressor sounds like a jet engine. And squeals/squeaks as it slows to a halt after one exits the car. Mine was in for service couple months ago, and they didn't say anything about the blanket.

Are you sure that's true for us post-sigs? Thru-out tmc, it seems sig owners are frequently mentioning these types of updates. I am in FL, and now that it is in 90s, the air cond compressor sounds like a jet engine. And squeals/squeaks as it slows to a halt after one exits the car. Mine was in for service couple months ago, and they didn't say anything about the blanket.

See this thread, page 4, post 34 for the TSB info.... Mine had a lot of squeaking and they replaced a condenser I think.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-loud-AC-compressor?highlight=loud+compressor

-m

You have to complain about the noise or ask for the TSB to be done.

Couldn't update Friday as I got stuck in traffic for 1 hour. But here is one trip in Range Mode.

Did 143.5 miles in 1 trip Firmware is v5.9 on highway at speed from 75-84mph AC in range.

Trip one: "up hill"
Rated Range Start: 198 Miles Rated Range End: 37 Miles Miles Traveled (from Dash) 143.5 Miles
Outside temp 83F this obviously fluctuates but its whats in the pics I took
Temp setting: 72F
Fan speed: 1

Couldn't update Friday as I got stuck in traffic for 1 hour. But here is one trip in Range Mode.

To summarize:

"Up Hill" Route:
Actual miles travelled: 143 miles
Non-range mode: 162 Rated Miles used
Range mode: 161 Rated Miles used

Negligible difference there which is interesting.

Did you feel any comfort difference in the car while making the two drives?

Thanks.

-m

To summarize:

"Up Hill" Route:
Actual miles travelled: 143 miles
Non-range mode: 162 Rated Miles used
Range mode: 161 Rated Miles used

Negligible difference there which is interesting.

Did you feel any comfort difference in the car while making the two drives?

Thanks.

-m

I didn't feel a difference today but I usually have to turn the temp down more and the fan up more, capped at 8 in range mode but not sure if its different than standard 8. I do have pano roof and live in the south so I'm sure that does make a difference. When I first got my S I used it in range mode but switched it once it and I did see any difference in range, with AC off I have. Again I am doing high speed straight runs with little to no stops and little regen (a meter or gauge would be nice to give a total). Perhaps in town driving might give better results. Another test to try would be to just sit in the car one test standard the other range and see how long it takes to drop 1 mile.