Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory Location Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see there is another article possibly confirming that this site is the Gigafactory.

Guest Post: Top-Secret Groundworks Outside Reno, NV Mark First Tesla Gigafactory Site

Oh, and I quickly changed the title (and then changed it again today), but it seems that the original poster cannot change it (the one that is on the main title...seems I can only change it on the first post). Perhaps someone with more posting power can manage to do so.

Interesting article, not sure I buy it, but it has potential. I just don't think any of the locals he spoke to would be in a position to know that it's a Tesla project - it's easy for Tesla to create an entirely separate entity to take care of the build and to maintain secrecy, at least during the prep phase, before things become more obvious. There would be no need to 'swear constructions workers to secrecy', nor would anyone in their right mind think that any secret would stay safe in that environment. The rest of the evidence is more compelling though.

I see there is another article possibly confirming that this site is the Gigafactory.

Guest Post: Top-Secret Groundworks Outside Reno, NV Mark First Tesla Gigafactory Site

Oh, and I quickly changed the title (and then changed it again today), but it seems that the original poster cannot change it (the one that is on the main title...seems I can only change it on the first post). Perhaps someone with more posting power can manage to do so.

I updated the title. Interesting, and I guess it could be a possibility. Elon did say they'd work on multiple sites until groundbreaking, but perhaps they'd even go farther?

Whoops, we just stomped on each other, AO!

I just renamed it something very obvious - "Gigafactory Location Speculation". I like obvious titles!!!

If the contents of the article are accurate, it sounds like he may have scooped it.

So IF it was a GF site:
Could be due to the contractor being behind schedule.
Could be because info was leaked (which is a stretch, but possible contributing factor).
Could simply be the other site won the final decision.

It also may not have been the GF site.

OMG, misinformation duplicate thread warning!

I suggest your read Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread - Page 111 from page 111 to current and see all the details there. I'd also suggest this thread be locked or merged.

Latest version of the story is that phase 1 of that sites construction finished so the work is halted waiting for phase 2.

Gilman, says that workers were not laid off yesterday as some have claimed. The workers have been working day and night for the past few weeks.
“They've reached the end of the first phase,” says Gilman. “And so I can tell you that there's been a full mile long path built in about 3 and half weeks. And so the first phase of construction process is completed and there is a halt at this time.

edit: I see the thread got merged with a less inflammatory title. Good to see.

Last edited:
So IF it was a GF site:
Could be due to the contractor being behind schedule.
Could be because info was leaked (which is a stretch, but possible contributing factor).
Could simply be the other site won the final decision.

It also may not have been the GF site.

I bet it was because of leaked info. There was a reason behind secrecy. And a good one. Tesla still do not know which site will be chosen for first g-factory. And Tesla do want states to offer as great deals as possible. And compete with each other. If they keep construction going on on the site in Nevada states like Texas will cool down and would be more reluctant to offer tax breaks/infrastructure investments to Tesla. Because virtually no politician currently believe/understands that Tesla actually would need more than one g-factory.