Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With rumors of the Model X going ahead - anyone know when we can put in for a Model S with AWD order? Been holding off for this...

One would think if Tesla has the capability to manufacture an AWD Model X on August 4th (when the plant reopens), it would be reasonable to believe Tesla would have the capability to manufacture an AWD S as soon as August 4th. If you want to speculate further, it would be reasonable to announce an AWD S three days before the factory re-opens. And that date would be the July 31st, which is the earnings call.

Just conjecture on my part. But, I do not believe you will have to hold off much longer.

I would LOVE AWD!!

Two MAJOR advantages I hadn't really considered until recently are;

1- MUCH less tire wear since I'm ONLY 'braking' with my rear wheels ~95% of the time...

2- Higher efficiency? I would imagine that the Front and Rear drive trains would be geared differently so the S can use one motor mostly for high speeds and one mostly for low speeds.... although without a clutch I guess even an unpowered motor would still be spinning.... so.... ??? Maybe higher efficiency?

Not if, but when, in my opinion. TM has a nice problem on their hands. They can not fill the RWD S orders fast enough and on top of that the X is close ( 6 months) to being produced. Between the two they will be production constrained for the foreseeable future. So, do they open up the AWD S before, at the same time or some time after the X? Decision above my pay grade but I would only do the AWD if the margins were larger than on the RWD one until they test the limits of the RWD S demand.

That is box one for me--and I know they will do it soon (or at least it would be silly if they didn't).

Now just stick that 400-500 mile range battery Elon mentioned this week in, and the factory would be backordered for 6 months minimum.

Good problem to have...

That is box one for me--and I know they will do it soon (or at least it would be silly if they didn't).

Now just stick that 400-500 mile range battery Elon mentioned this week in, and the factory would be backordered for 6 months minimum.

Good problem to have...

I actually have a deposit on another S. Made it about 6 months ago and have delayed the build till January 2015. I wanted to be 'in line' to quickly reconfigure and confirm if it becomes available.

Not if, but when, in my opinion. TM has a nice problem on their hands. They can not fill the RWD S orders fast enough and on top of that the X is close ( 6 months) to being produced. Between the two they will be production constrained for the foreseeable future. So, do they open up the AWD S before, at the same time or some time after the X? Decision above my pay grade but I would only do the AWD if the margins were larger than on the RWD one until they test the limits of the RWD S demand.

I'd probably say Model X has priority first and Model S AWD is very low-priority given the current demand, probably even below that of Model 3. Model S AWD hasn't even been officially announced and it's only been shown as a test vehicle in their teaser video. However, if they show off their production Model X along with a Model S AWD, can you imagine the long demand line/queue? I can imagine them saying "I'm sorry, you're going to have wait 6+ months before your (Model X|Model S AWD) goes into production" :scared:

I really hope they announce an AWD drive and tow hitch option very very soon.

My current car was totaled on Saturday, when an old lady fell asleep at the wheel, veered into my lane and removed my back axle, more or less. Luckily, my wife and I are okay, but I would really have prefered having that accident in a Tesla. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have rolled over, at least. Google Translate

Now I have no car and a long wait before I receive a Model S. I was hoping on ordering an AWD Model S before xmas, but if they announced it tomorrow, that would be so awesome, because then I could receive the car around Jan/Feb.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually have a deposit on another S. Made it about 6 months ago and have delayed the build till January 2015. I wanted to be 'in line' to quickly reconfigure and confirm if it becomes available.
Does this really work - would one get priority? If so, I think I'll copy your idea.

I really hope they announce an AWD drive and tow hitch option very very soon.

My current car was totaled on Saturday, when an old lady fell asleep at the wheel, veered into my lane and removed my back axle, more or less. Luckily, my wife and I are okay, but I would really have prefered having that accident in a Tesla. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have rolled over, at least. Google Translate

Now I have no car and a long wait before I receive a Model S. I was hoping on ordering an AWD Model S before xmas, but if they announced it tomorrow, that would be so awesome, because then I could receive the car around Jan/Feb.

- - - Updated - - -

Does this really work - would one get priority? If so, I think I'll copy your idea.

I do not think you get priority but if there is a big rush to configure I can either 'one click' the AWD addition OR call my DS if the site gets jammed up with an increase in orders.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have a deposit for a Sig X, PX and the S. My wife is not sure about the falcon doors in the X. The next Tesla we get is to replace her AWD SUV. She insists on AWD even though she admits the RWD S took our snowy streets well last winter. So, whatever she chooses, I will apply all the deposits to that vehicle. Yes, it is (I am) insane....but that is what works in my house :biggrin:

Don't agree. IMO Tesla will produce the AWD Model S for sure. :cool: It's only a matter of time.

They have already made one, though I believe it's ... an official secret and hence cannot provide a source for this intel.

And of course, not built the way they would make a production model S AWD - only for testing. My own guess is - as suggested elsewhere - those two separate motors would have separate gearing to allow for optimising at different driving speeds, while both still being usable at any speed.

0 - 60 in 2.2 seconds, not bad for an EV.

If I could have changed my Model S order into AWD, I would do it in a heartbeat (if the price is reasonable). I don't need it, but it would be so cool to have, especially if it helps on tire wear and acceleration.