Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners: have you taken the Cubby Challenge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
Do the 2008's have the "cell-phone cubbies" on either end of the dash?

My 2010 does. What a mean trick. As soon as you accelerate, they turn in to cell-phone launchpads. Ouch. I stopped using them after my second try, on the first day.

After two weeks of giving a lot of "rides" to all my new best friends, I thought I'd go back to my old mpg-seeking driving habits. It seemed I was driving sedately, but I kept taking off from stop lights and seeing everybody else way back in my rear view mirror. So as a test, I put my cell phone in to the cubby to see if it would stay there as I drove around.

Ouch. Not happening.

2008's only have one on the passenger side. Totally useless. I'm betting a non slip will not help either. Velcro on the object and the floor of the cubby would probably work but that means the hook and loop (scratchy) side shows on the car.

Can't blame the car too much though. The driver just needs to stop stomping.

I jam/store my driving gloves in the passenger side one when not driving.
It works fine for that.

Yeah Tennis, You make two good points. Soft goods like gloves, a rag or socks (!?) would travel just fine jammed into the cubby(s). I will also change my call of "useless" to "Useless in motion" (even for gloves! -if your are doing it right...:wink: )

Last edited:
The cubbies seem pretty useless. I think the trays, with the right non-skid material (there are some really grippy ones out there) would probably work though. I've had one that worked for a coffee cup on a flat surface in a vehicle, and the tray is better shaped than that. There's also trinket tray dividers like this

That said, my solution was the bracket designed by Stephan (another Roadster owner) to mate with any of the ProClip phone, gps, etc. mounts (works great!). I think James from EVComponents is taking on that product too, in addition to the license plate brackets Stephan designed.

For other items I wanted out of sight and not able to just slide around, I got a dash bag designed for the elise. Works well, secured in place with Velcro, and is easy to pop in and out if desired. Of course 2010's and those springing for the add-on gloveboxes like Al & Ed's are making don't need that.

Can see both here:
DSC_6646_2.JPG

I've got an Elise and put some non-slip mesh in the dash cubbys. Works great. Usually keep my cellphone in the cubby to the left of the steering wheel. It only flies out occasionally.