Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi authentication protocol question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park my MS daily at my hospital where there is a nice strong WiFi signal, and the car sees the signal. However, the secure network uses PEAP (MSCHAPv2) for authentication, which requires both my username and password; when I try to join the network it only asks for my password and doesn't log on. Do any of you networking gurus know if there's a setting I can use or is this form of authentication not available in the current firmware? I sometimes sit in the car for a bit finishing my coffee and reading the news and I'd love the faster connectivity as the 3G at this location is 1 bar at best.

I have the same issue at my office. I have a guest network that allows signing in without a username, but then the user is allowed only two days of use before being kicked off.

I also have this at work. I just turn of the wifi on my phone and go with cellular when I want to 'talk' to the car.

Looks like the Model S only support WPA2 Personal and not WPA2 Enterprise. They should really support both. Most consumers will only use a shared key (Personal), but nearly any company bigger than a few people will use Enterprise.

Make sure you email ownership with the issue too. Thanks.

Done. Probably not high priority on their part but I would think that adding additional open-source, industry standard authentication protocols would be pretty simple and unlikely to break anything else, but then again I'm not a software developer - I know just enough to be dangerous...