Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheap 240v/16A J1772

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a Terrace home/condo and every parking spot here has a post with a 110v/12A (NEMA 5-15) receptacle that is connected to each unit's panel. Since I couldn't change much when I got my Tesla, I converted the 5-15 to a 6-20 (240v/20A; very easy conversion). I bought the 5-20 adapter from Tesla to properly limit the continuous current and created an adapter to make it fit in the new 6-20.

As you can tell, I'm using my UMC for my daily charging and everything is OK so far. However, it's becoming a hassle to connect and disconnect the charger every morning and night. I would like to have something fixed in there that I only have to plug it in when I reach home and unplug it when I leave. Also, it would be nice to make it available on Plugshare for other EV drivers in case of an emergency.

Buying another UMC is expensive and is prone to be stolen no matter what you do to the post (although I live in a very safe area, but you never know) since it will be outside all the time. So I was thinking of a way to have a J1772 installed, something cheap and does the job since I only need a 16A J1772. I looked at a few ones online but they are still in the ~$400-500 range.

I also looked at this $100 J1772 with cable, but I'm not sure what to put on the other end:
SAE J1772 EV charging plug in with 8 meters 16A cable, for American electric car/vehicle-in Electrical Plugs Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Is it a straight forward hookup to the wall, or does it need a some circuit in between?

Basically, my final product should look like this:
http://store.evsolutions.com/turboc...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=183826082

Any feedback is appreciated!

Not sure how handy you are with electronics, but I built an OPEN EVSE http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/ that is what I use for a similar situation. I charge at work with a Nema 6-20 plug (16 amps). You can buy the kit and put it togeather yourself. This will allow you to make a totally custome EVSE for exactly what you want to use it for. The only thing, after it's all said and done it's not much cheaper than a UMC.

Not sure how handy you are with electronics, but I built an OPEN EVSE http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/ that is what I use for a similar situation. I charge at work with a Nema 6-20 plug (16 amps). You can buy the kit and put it togeather yourself. This will allow you to make a totally custome EVSE for exactly what you want to use it for. The only thing, after it's all said and done it's not much cheaper than a UMC.

Thanks!

Yeah, I looked at that yesterday and I just thought I might be able to find a cheaper solution. I'm from a computer eng. background so the installation shouldn't be an issue.

The UMC is way more expensive if you ask me: $650 + tax + shipping.

That's just the plug/cable. OpenEVSE would contain all the electronics you need between the plug and wall.

Clipper Creek makes the least expensive EVSE that I am aware of - the LCS-20 at $395 - designed to be hard-wired on a 240V/20A circuit. You shouldn't have any issue putting a 6-20 plug on it.

I do think you want to just buy the cable as it appears to just be a plug and wire. One needs additional pilot signal and power signal for this to work. Unless you want to build the electronics then I would go the Clipper Creek route.

That's just the plug/cable. OpenEVSE would contain all the electronics you need between the plug and wall.

Clipper Creek makes the least expensive EVSE that I am aware of - the LCS-20 at $395 - designed to be hard-wired on a 240V/20A circuit. You shouldn't have any issue putting a 6-20 plug on it.

+1 for the Clipper Creek LCS-20.

It is hard to beat $395 if you build your own Open EVSE, and the LCS-20 is UL listed (I think). Open EVSE would be a fun project, and is great for people that want to add their own custom features, but I think the OP just wants a reliable, durable, inexpensive, basic EVSE.

I also suggest buying a charge port opener fob from lolachampcar to go with it.

GSP

I just ordered Clipper Creek LCS-20. There is one that's worth mentioning, which is Bosch EL-51245 Amazon.com: Bosch EL-51245 Power Max 16 Amp Electric Vehicle Charging Station with 12 Cord: Automotive and it gives you 16A instead of 15A. The only reason I didn't go with it is the fact that it's too big for something to be left on a curb post.

Ive got the LCS-20 for my Volt and it has been great. I have been back and forth if I continue to use it on the Tesla when I pick one up. I feel that the slower charge would be better for the battery anyway.

Does OpenEVSE have UL certification yet? I'd be wary of anything that didn't.

Then you should be weary of the UMC because it is not UL certified either. :) The inspector gave me a hard time when he came to inspect my 14-50 outlet because he looked at the UMC and was trying to find a certification on it. It shouldn't have mattered because he's there to inspect the outlet, not what I'm plugging into it, but because I happened to have it there, he wouldn't pass my inspection. I had to get a hold of Tesla and it turns out that technically the UMC is considered "part of the car" so it doesn't require UL certification but rather is subject to some automobile standards that it has to adhere to. Apparently that answer was good enough for the inspector and they passed it in the end.

Then you should be weary of the UMC because it is not UL certified either. :) The inspector gave me a hard time when he came to inspect my 14-50 outlet because he looked at the UMC and was trying to find a certification on it. It shouldn't have mattered because he's there to inspect the outlet, not what I'm plugging into it, but because I happened to have it there, he wouldn't pass my inspection. I had to get a hold of Tesla and it turns out that technically the UMC is considered "part of the car" so it doesn't require UL certification but rather is subject to some automobile standards that it has to adhere to. Apparently that answer was good enough for the inspector and they passed it in the end.

I hate dealing with such people! I would put the UMC in the trunk and tell him: Magic! it disappeared! I need the 14-50 for a new dryer that i haven't bought yet!