Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trail Ridge Road Excursions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the time I received my MS in Nov 2012, Cottonwood had made a run up Trail Ridge Road, and the pass was already closed for winter:

Saturday, I had the fun of trying out what we could load in to the car and go high in the Rockies. We drove from Boulder up to Estes Park with 3 adults and a 65 lb dog, then added two more adults and drove up Fall River Road and back over Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park and back to Boulder. Trail Ridge tops out at 12,183 ft, so I will claim this as the highest Model S so far. :biggrin:The car performed incredibly well. 5 adults were comfortable, and there was plenty of room for gear and the dog in the hatch back. My overall stats for the trip were 136.9 mi; 43.1 kW-Hr; 315 W-Hr/mi, not bad for a full load and mountain driving. Of course the average speeds were low.

With a high of 98° F forecast for Boulder yesterday, it seemed like the time had finally come for us to make our own belated run up the Ridge. Up top it was a balmy 68° with light puffy clouds and light winds (somewhat uncommon in my experience--usually by the time I make it to the top it's raining and cold). My energy useage graph was as rugged as the peaks off on either side, but my overall Wh/mi was only 268 (I'm almost never below 300 down on the flatlands, but there I'm usually in heavy traffic on the freeways.) I gained 9 miles of rated range on the way back down (probably closer to 11 since I didn't start to uptick until I was halfway back up to Allenspark). I started with a 100% charge, and ended up just under 50%. Of course, we ran the AC instead of heat, and speeds were quite slow going up and down (although there were countless stops along the way to hike and take photographs).

Snow Drift Peak 640.jpg